87 325 is valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 325 is valve adjustment

I'm doing the Valle adjustment rn, I have the Valve cover off and I followed the sequence but going 1-5-3-6-2-4 now do I just all 12 rocker arms? Or just the 6 at the bottom? Or when I have it at top dead center do I adjust the two rocker arms associated with the piston? Please help! https://vimeo.com/145744896

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kinda hard to explain on a forum, you have to do all 12 with a measuring sheet. if you have it to close to the cam you can potentially destroy your head. I don't think there is a certain way you have to adjust them. correct me if im wrong, if I am I have been doing it wrong lol.

anyways, the cam lobs looks like an egg and at the bottom of the egg (cam lob) is where you need to adjust the valve. all 12 has independent cam lobs.
    |OO=[||][||]=OO|
    /____ALPINA____\

sigpic
    300lbs Deadlift

1987 325es 2.7i chipped
    1992 325i : SOLD
    2004 e46 M3
    2007 e90 M3

Comment

E30 Valve Adjustment In-Depth Tutorial M20B25/27 Engines Ticking Fixed----More Videos to Come---|OO=[||][||]=OO| -E30NJBreather Hose Link: http://www.ebay.co...

Comment

From a set of instructions point of view, the simplest way to do is put the 22mm wrench on the crank, rotate until the cam on E1 has the lobe pointed down, measure the E1 rocker-to-valve clearance and adjust (if necessary) to 0.010". Then rotate to get the E2 cam lobe pointed down, measure, adjust, E3, ..., E6, I1, ..., I6.

You can get more efficiency by doing all the valves that have the lobe pointed down at any given point, but I'd have to write it out on scratch paper to figure out which valves those would be for a particular crank position. Not hard, just don't know off the top of my head. Not a big deal to go one at a time, though.

Som

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
          x2

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
          Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

Easiest wway IMHO is to have the cam lobes in an upside down V over the cylinder. In this position, there should no pressure on the rocker arms. To test this, when you have the lobes in position, give the rocker arms a wiggle. You should hear a faint clicking sound and feel just a bit of movement.

This way you can check and adjust (if necessary) both the exhaust and intake clearance.

Personally, I go by firing order, as I rotate the engine by having one rear wheel raised and having the transmission in 5th. By rotating the rear wheel, you rotate the engine. every quarter to 1/3 turn will get you to the next cylinder in the firing order. FYI, this won't work with cars that have an LSD.
            Estoguy
            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Easiest wway IMHO is to have the cam lobes in an upside down V over the cylinder. In this position, there should no pressure on the rocker arms. To test this, when you have the lobes in position, give the rocker arms a wiggle. You should hear a faint clicking sound and feel just a bit of movement.

This way you can check and adjust (if necessary) both the exhaust and intake clearance.

Personally, I go by firing order, as I rotate the engine by having one rear wheel raised and having the transmission in 5th. By rotating the rear wheel, you rotate the engine. every quarter to 1/3 turn will get you to the next cylinder in the firing order. FYI, this won't work with cars that have an LSD.
              Estoguy
              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I usually do all intake first in firing order, then I'll do exhaust side after in firing order

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                  Easiest wway IMHO is to have the cam lobes in an upside down V over the cylinder.
                  This. Do each pair of rockers on one cylinder, then the next, in the firing order.

Comment

Working...
                  X