very low idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very low idle

Hi guys, my E34 525i (m20) is having a low idle problem.

idle is EXTREMELY low, about 400rpm. its not that rough ... the sound is smooth ... but at 400rpm its having a really hard time keeping the engine running. plus since the car is AT, when im on D or R with the brakes on, its even worst (plus the car rocks back and forth which is really annoying).

i tried the recommended cleaning of the ICV several times, when you move it, it sounds free moving hitting both ends. in order to keep the engine from stalling, i had to open the throttle quite a bit, which is causing that there is never a fuel cutout during coasting (killing my mileage).

also i opened the AFM, the tracks on the PCB are a bit worn out, i measured the reading and there are no erratic jumps in resistance. also the thermistor on the AFM has no reading at all. its completely dead. anyone knows if its possible to replace it for a similar thermistor?

the car is running very rich all the time, you can smell it in the exhaust, and during the verification they reported high hydrocarbon levels in the exhaust. no smoke on the exhaust though.

is it possible that the engine is running extremely rich and this is causing a low idle? or those 2 problems may not be related?

thanks for any input.
    ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---
Working...
X