Does 325i have idle control module?/Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does 325i have idle control module?/Starting issue

The M20 car consistently takes ~5 seconds to start up. The starter motor runs strong. Once it does start, it wants to stall for the first couple of seconds but idles fine after that. A warm start happens with ease if the car has been been shut off for less than 30 minutes.

I've added in a check valve like in this picture: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dark...2copy.jpg.html The idle control valve has been cleaned and the resistance of its connectors are okay. The fuel pressure regulator is good. The spark plugs are new and not fowled. It has new spark plug wires. It's a 91 but its engine is from 89.

I'm under the impression that the idle control valve should be making noise when the car is turned on to accessory mode, but I'm not hearing any noise. The car also idles the same way whether the idle control valve is attached or detached, so I'm thinking the idle control valve is not getting power.

Did 325is have idle control modules or did only 325es? Are there any fuses relating to the idle control valve as to why it wouldn't be getting power?

Thanks a lot!

The ICV should vibrate when the ignition is on. If it doesn't, the ICV, it's wiring, or the DME are possibilities.

Other possibilities are intake leaks (have a shop run a smoke test) or a bad idle switch in the TPS.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If the ICV isn't vibrating, that doesn't automatically point to a damaged ICV.

Possible causes:
      • Throttle position switch is damaged.
      • Throttle position switch needs to be adjusted.
      • Throttle body is sticking, so TPS never gets triggered.
      • Fuse 9 is open.
      • Vacuum leak, check the metal fittings that plug into the throttle body, that's where my leak was.
      • ICV actually is damaged.

Comment

I should have referred you to this (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...5&postcount=12) earlier.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks! I'll check this out!

Comment

I tried switching fuse 7 (horn) with 9, and the ICV works now. Ordered $5 of lots of fuses to replace them all and see what else decides to start working too! Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Cairn View Post
              I tried switching fuse 7 (horn) with 9, and the ICV works now. Ordered $5 of lots of fuses to replace them all and see what else decides to start working too! Thanks so much!
              Oxygen sensor heater wiring is also on Fuse 9, check to see if the connector (c140) is damaged. It is quite close to the exhaust manifolds.

Comment

Working...
              X