Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Connector under Diag Port??

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have scoured the internet to try to find the answer to this. Unfortunately the electrical diagrams are difficult to interpret with respect to actual connector+sensor locations. Just finished doing a bunch of maintenance on a '91 325is and am left with a single 3-pin connector without a home.

As shown below, the diag port bracket has one sensor already connected (CPS mounted on bracket above the toothed wheel). Coming out of the same loom is another 3 pin connector that I simply cannot find the attachment point for. I'm going crazy. Help appreciated.

That should plug into the Pulse Sensor, which is found on the number 6 spark plug wire marked by an arrow in the pic below.
    Also, the pic is not mine. I found it in this thread. Pulse sensor on the spark plug wires

Hope this helps!!
    1990 325i
    2004 330i Individual 6-speed
    sigpic

Comment

That is it I think. Swapped in some used spark wires that didnt have the CID attachment apparently. Must have been an older model. Car still ran but had a rough idle and fell on its face off idle with large throttle inputs (similar to vac leak).

Pulling my old wire with CID sensor out of the box and putting in. I'll report back.

Comment

Got that on. Of course the threaded tip on the current spark plug got me for a few minutes when I put the old wire on. Seems to run a bit better. Based on e30 wiki, appears that it only changes the ECU spark firing from all 6 to 2x banks of 3. Engine seemed a little more responsive off idle.

Still need to chase lambda control 1222 (RIP me). Thankfully I've already replaced TPS, AFM, intake seals, vac tubing, O2 (Bosch 4wire) etc, so I think I need to start looking at fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel relay, maybe o2 heater relay.

Comment

Glad you found the connector for your loose connector! The function of it was also mentioned in the thread that I linked as well.

Have you done a smoke test?
          1990 325i
          2004 330i Individual 6-speed
          sigpic

Comment

The smoke test is probably next on the list. Since fuel issues can cause a 1222 as well, figured I could start with the filter. It is of unknown age. Due to the new parts I've installed (see below), I was hoping to rule out an intake leak since my previous research into 1222 and off-idle hesitation lead me to that or O2 sensor as likely issue.

New parts installed:
            Intake Boot
            All Vac lines
            TB gasket
            Intake gaskets
            Bitch tube seals top and bottom
            All coolant lines
            Water pump
            Timing belt
            Crankshaft seals
            ICV cleaned, verified power
            Refurb AFM
            Plugs
            7mm wires, minus OEM Bosch #6 with the pulse signal I put back on today
            Cap/Distro/Coil
            Oil/Filter (need to install the new filter seal I have as well)
            Coolant temp sender
            Coolant temp sensor
            Thermostat
            TPS
            CPS cleaned during timing belt install
            Valve cover gasket
            Bosch 4-wire O2 sensor

Not checked yet:
            Brake booster
            Fuel pump
            O2 heater relay
            Fuel pump relay