Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lisle Spill Free Funnel for this engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lisle Spill Free Funnel for this engine?

I have the Lisle Spill Free Funnel (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-S.../dp/B00A6AS6LY) which I've used on my 98 Corolla and it works great. I just fill it up, the coolant in the funnel is the highest point in the system, and it bleeds itself while idling. I noticed that one of the adapters screws into the M20's expansion tank, so I can hook this funnel up to my E30. With this funnel, could I bleed my E30 the same way as my Corolla, i.e. just filling up the funnel and letting it bleed itself? I just finished changing my timing belt (it started up great thank god) and bled the coolant, but it's hard to tell whether or not I've actually finished bleeding or not (but the car didn't overheat while idling and the heater blew hot so that's a good sign). I'd crack the bleeder screw open, see no bubbles, think i'm done, crack it one more time to be sure, and see more bubbles. The only issue I see is when I'm done using the funnel, the expansion tank will be completely full, but I'm sure I can just use a turkey baster or something to get the excess out.

So since I already have the funnel, would using it work on the E30 without having to crack the bleed screw repeatedly?

I don't think it'll work as easily as it does on the Corolla. Not having an actual radiator cap on these cars can be an inconvenience at times like this. The preferred method for bleeding is as you've probably already done. Let the car idle up with the front end jacked, open the bleed screw and watch the temp guage. If you're getting heat through the vents, engine temp is good, and the fluid level isn't dropping between drives... You're A-OK. You can fiddle with it some more if you want but I think you've done about all you can do without making too big a mess. :)

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
    X