Could it be PCV Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it be PCV Issues?

So here is the issue with my 87 325e, I am burning oil on start up.

Here is what I have done,

1. Rebuilt motor all the way down to the rings, bearings ect...

2. Had a cracked cylinder head; therefore, head was changed out with same one off another 325e.

3. Rebuilt the head completely including being shaved, had valve guides checked, clearances great, all new seals including valve stem seals, lapping valves, new springs, rockers, ect... I changed everything but the cam.

Still smoked on start up; therefore, I battled with the head on the car to replace the already new valve stem seals again thinking this was the issue (could have been a bad set, who knows). I used elringer seals the first time and went with victor reinz the second since I already had them (not a fan but on hand is convenient).

If it were the new rings I put in it would smoke consistently while driving, but it only smokes (blue) on start up leading me to believe it was the valve seals.

So now I am looking at the PCV system. I know oil in the intake is common for these, but I am getting quite a bit more than what I am normally used to seeing.

Is there any possible way oil could be getting sucked up through the PCV tube or "bitch tube" causing it to smoke?

Is there supposed to be a screen or anything in the tube to prevent back flow of oil up into the intake?

What could cause more oil to be going into the intake?

Is a catch can worth it?

Any Ideas?

Thanks Rev!
    What BMW means to me: Breaks My Wallet

I have battled this for a while now; therefore, all I am looking for is some advise on what my next move should be. I have been through quite a bit of time and money to make it run without burning oil. So before I chose to replace the rings again, I just want to see if there is anything else that could cause me to smoke the blues on start up beyond rings and valve stem seals.

I have searched through this form and nothing comes up for talking about the PCV system. Not sure if I am not using the right key words or....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

First, how many miles have you driven it? Maybe the rings are still seating? The only other thought is how does it idle? Could the idle control valve be causing oil to be sucked into the intake?

After all the work and money you put into it, you would expect it to purr like a kitten.
      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
        First, how many miles have you driven it? Maybe the rings are still seating? The only other thought is how does it idle? Could the idle control valve be causing oil to be sucked into the intake?

After all the work and money you put into it, you would expect it to purr like a kitten.

Since the rebuild I have put a little over 2k worth of miles on it; therefore, it cant be the rings not seated completely, and it only smokes on start up. Never knew the ICV could cause it to suck oil into the intake, might be onto something here.

I have sank a lot of time and money into it for sure, and due to it not running good my patients is running low. I have a spare low mileage motor out of an 325i, but I feel I would be burning money if I swap as I have already put so much into this engine.

Beyond affecting idle, what are some other signs of a bad idle control valve, if any? I definitely have too much oil entering into the intake; therefore, I will look into this.

I appreciate the info, Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X