89 325i M20 swap on a 84 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325i M20 swap on a 84 325e

Hey guys what’s up. 2 questions, I bought a 1985 bmw 325e about 2 months ago. It had its engine swapped out for a 1989 bmw 325i engine. when I turn on car it sounds fine, as soon as it warms it shakes very little like it has a misfire but when I drive it drives fine. It only shakes when I’m still. I’ve change spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, ICV. I changed computed as well and didn’t seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Second question is wiring harness plug and play from a 325e to a 325i engine swap? I looked at the harness connecting to the computer and it seems like the modified it?

Originally posted by joshEbro View Post
    Hey guys what’s up. 2 questions, I bought a 1985 bmw 325e about 2 months ago. It had its engine swapped out for a 1989 bmw 325i engine. when I turn on car it sounds fine, as soon as it warms it shakes very little like it has a misfire but when I drive it drives fine. It only shakes when I’m still. I’ve change spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, ICV. I changed computed as well and didn’t seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Second question is wiring harness plug and play from a 325e to a 325i engine swap? I looked at the harness connecting to the computer and it seems like the modified it?
    You mean an idle misfire?

My car had that before I pulled the head for a bad head gasket job done by a previous owner. I'm 80% sure the misfire was caused by an injector. You didn't mention that you had checked injectors on your car, so that's where I'd start (and will be starting on mine).

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
      You mean an idle misfire?

My car had that before I pulled the head for a bad head gasket job done by a previous owner. I'm 80% sure the misfire was caused by an injector. You didn't mention that you had checked injectors on your car, so that's where I'd start (and will be starting on mine).

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
      Yeah idle misfire, I actually haven’t checked the injectors, i go ahead and do that next hopefully that will fix the problem thank you bro

Comment

In my experience if the engine won’t idle nicely you need to confirm;

Idle air control valve
        Throttle position switch
        Coolant temp sensor (the 2 wire prong one)
        Crank sensor
        Oxygen sensor
        Vacuum leaks

If all these things are working properly then you would move on to individual fuel system components, like fuel pressure, filter, harness connector

The ignition system, plugs, wires, coil, distributor and rotor

It could simply be the oil fill cap not sealing or the dipstick o rings are dried up
        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
          In my experience if the engine won’t idle nicely you need to confirm;

Idle air control valve
          Throttle position switch
          Coolant temp sensor (the 2 wire prong one)
          Crank sensor
          Oxygen sensor
          Vacuum leaks

If all these things are working properly then you would move on to individual fuel system components, like fuel pressure, filter, harness connector

The ignition system, plugs, wires, coil, distributor and rotor

It could simply be the oil fill cap not sealing or the dipstick o rings are dried up
          This is perfect I’ll do one by one on this list thank you brother

Comment

Cool, do keep in mind that there are many people here that are far more knowledgeable than I so keep searching and asking stuff.
            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

I’d try the following since they are free:

Valve adjustment
              ICV penny trick
              Check for vac leaks
              Clean injectors
              ————(OO≣[][]≣OO)————
              86 325e sedan, black on black 5 speed
              90 325i sedan, black on natural 5 speed

Comment

On the wiring harness question, there are two main versions of the Bosch Motronic system used in e30s, 1.0 and 1.1/1.3. The former uses a 35-pin connector, the latter a 55-pin. Given the age difference, it was probably converted from 1.0 to 1.3. Lots of detailed information on the Bosch Motronic and Jetronic engine management systems here:

Comment

Working...
                X