Intermittent Loss of Power and Running Rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Loss of Power and Running Rough

Hello, I have a 1987 325e automatic with the motronic 1.0 engine management system. I have replaced a bunch of parts in the 4 months Ive had it.

Parts: Distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, ICV and ICM, fuel filter, inline fuel pump, FPR, air filter, intake boot, valve cover vent hose, cleaned and ohm tested TPS.

The car now runs a lot better but still has an intermittent issue that has me stumped. The car runs great and then it will run like crap off and on regardless of whether I'm accelerating or driving with my foot on the accelerator at the same spot. It feels sluggish and the car is being held back (insert jokes about etas being slow here) slower then usual I guess haha. But during this time it will not rev over 2500rpm unless I put it to the floor then it only goes to about 3500rpm. I also noticed that the econometer will only go no higher then 18L/100km and when my foot is off the gas the L/100km drops to 0 regardless of speed when running normally it stays above 4 or 5 with my foot off the gas (actually dont know if that's normal?)

It will also run like crap, best way to describe it is like a drag car sounds when idling, like the is firing delayed a lot, the idle is low and kind of surges. It stops doing this when I give it gas to get it above about 1k rpms. Going slow causes the car to surge too. I can't put it in reverse without the car stalling out either unless I give it gas and hold it there. ONLY when the car is doing this do I hear a clunking underneath as well.

Really not sure what is going on or where to go from here any help would be great thanks! Its long too so I can clarify anything further if needed.

Jake

Did you ever get this figured out?

Comment

Originally posted by ezlnh8u View Post
      Did you ever get this figured out?
      Sorry for the delayed response I put the car away for the year, but no I still have some intermittent power loss issue it is better though...I replaced the ignition Coil when I got the car out and I don't have any issues with it stalling anymore. I replaced the blue temp sensor as well which has helped a bit too and some various vacuum hoses, main relay as well. I got a known working afm and that didn't make any difference.

What it is doing now is basically it runs fine for a while and then randomly I loose power and then it will sometimes come back. The idle rpms are much lower during this "power loss" and if I push the car at higher rpms 3.5-4k(high for an eta and not redline) it sputters and wont rev higher

At this point I think its probably the ECU since I have replaced just about everything else except for stuff I have proved working. I plan on going the 327i and turbo route eventually so I am thinking about just getting a megasquirt system going now and do away with a lot of the motronic 1.0 crap(Cold start injector, idle control module, flywheel crank sensors etc)

Comment

Working...
      X