Engine take out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine take out

Hey guys, so I’ve been planning on taking out my M20 engine out from my 325 but don’t know where to start. I have a lot of leaks going on in my motor and plan on redoing all seals. I have little experience in this type of work but I like to challenge myself like I did when I changed my timing for the first time. So is there anything that I can read to find out where I can start?

you should have a bentley manual, which documents this procedure. you'll also need an engine hoist.

it's also possible to reseal the majority of your motor without taking it out. the only thing that is difficult with it in is the oil pan gasket.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      you should have a bentley manual, which documents this procedure. you'll also need an engine hoist.

it's also possible to reseal the majority of your motor without taking it out. the only thing that is difficult with it in is the oil pan gasket.
      Where can I get me a Bentley Manuel book ? My car didn’t came with one

Comment

Originally posted by Frank325 View Post
        Where can I get me a Bentley Manuel book ? My car didn’t came with one
        I do things.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Removing the engine, to me, seems like a lot of trouble. Particularly if you've never done it before. You're touching a whole lot of stuff all at once and putting it back all correctly, with little experience, is tricky.

Cut your teeth on the timing belt, water pump, hoses and that stuff first. Get it all back together and make sure it all works.

The oil pan gasket can be tricky. I did mine in the car by disconnecting the motor mounts and raising the engine a few inches by using the AC compressor mounts. Then loosened the cross member bolts which gave me another inch or so. Its a bit fiddly but do able.

I like to do one thing at a time, make sure it all works. Then pick another task. Too many changes at once opens the door to shooting multiple problems at once which can drive you crazy!

But the Bentley manual is the first step.
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post

Oil pan gasket is harder than front main seal?? This gives me hope. I've done the oil pan, can you give me tips on fms pls.
              "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

I took my M20 out last weekend in my garage at home. It's doable just take your time. This is by no means a how to but should get you in the right direction.

Just start by disconnecting the battery, draining all fluids, and removing the hood.

I would start on the top side of the engine. Remove radiator, intake, all coolant hoses, fuel lines, power steering lines, oil lines, AC lines (make sure discharged correctly), and carefully disconnect all sensors that are on the harness. The harness should pull out and behind the intake to be out of the way.

Move to the underside and remove the downpipes from the exhaust manifold, drop exhaust, remove under shields, then disconnect driveshaft from Trans. Support the trans with the jack because you need to remove the trans brace to access the drive shaft nuts.

Support the engine with a hoist and load leveler and disconnect the engine mounts! Angle it too with the load leveler to clear the from accessories over the support.

Im sure I'm missing something, but I hope this helps if you decide to do it. label everything as well as best you can especially wiring.

Comment

Drop it. Swap it.
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
                  X