No Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Crank

I have recently had a problem with my e30, the fact that it will not crank. I just walked out to it after lunch and it was completely silent. All the electronics turned on like they were supposed to. I got the battery tested and recharged so that can't be the problem. I measured the voltage at the small black wire at the solenoid and got nothing. Traced that wire back to the ignition switch and tested it at the connector. Still no power when key is turned. When I tried to use the diagnostic connector by jumping the pins and shorting the solenoid directly, the relays would click but still no sound from the starter or solenoid. When the pons are jumped on the diag connector, I get about 11.8 volts going to the starter. I have cleaned the ground on the oil pan and on the shock tower. battery terminals too. Relays and fuses look good. I am stuck! What could be the problem?
    Last edited by angelfire; 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM.

It sounds like you have two separate problems--if the key doesn't provide power that is one issue, and the second issue is that your starter doesn't activate with 12v applied to it.

Can you walk through how the ignition circuit was tested? Forgive me for not being confident in that troubleshooting step. I find it hard to believe that your ignition switch and starter failed at the same time. Do you have 12V to the ignition circuit before the switch?
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      It sounds like you have two separate problems--if the key doesn't provide power that is one issue, and the second issue is that your starter doesn't activate with 12v applied to it.

Can you walk through how the ignition circuit was tested? Forgive me for not being confident in that troubleshooting step. I find it hard to believe that your ignition switch and starter failed at the same time. Do you have 12V to the ignition circuit before the switch?
      Yeah no problem, I’m really new to e30s anyways so some extra knowledge is always good. There is power going to the ignition. All of the lights come on and everything electronic works. I have verified the ignition switch gets 12V too with a multimeter. The wire that should have power when the key is in “start” has no power. I have checked the start relay (automatic car), main relay, and fuse pump relay. All fuses are good. All verified with a multimeter. When I first tried to short the starter with a screwdriver, it tried to crank. Now, it just sparks but no click or anything from the solenoid. Same thing when using the diag connector. I have confirmed the starter gets 12V when the pins on the diag are jumped. Am I missing something?

Comment

Neutral safety switch? As for the starter, I always recommend removing it and bench testing it. That way you know for sure. How are the engine grounds?
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
          Neutral safety switch? As for the starter, I always recommend removing it and bench testing it. That way you know for sure. How are the engine grounds?
          How should I go about testing the neutral safety switch? I thought the start relay was part of the safety switch because it’s only on the auto cars. I cleaned the engine grounds well.

Comment

Where are you locate in Ky? I have an auto e30 sitting in the yard. If I can find time from work and fatherly responsibilities, I might be able to pull the starter and try to help diagnose?

I like to be familiar with the e30s across Ky/Tn... That way I know what I'm buying in the future.
            20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Update, I changed the ignition switch. I now have power to the starter through the black/yellow wire. So that means bad starter/solenoid? They look super old. I tried jumping the car to see if the battery was too low but that didn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post
                Where are you locate in Ky? I have an auto e30 sitting in the yard. If I can find time from work and fatherly responsibilities, I might be able to pull the starter and try to help diagnose?

I like to be familiar with the e30s across Ky/Tn... That way I know what I'm buying in the future.
                I am in Lexington! If you are willing to part out your car, please message me! Mine really needs some love.

Comment

Working...
                X