'86 325e crank position sensor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 325e crank position sensor help

Hi all, I just became the proud new owner of an '86 325e. The starter cranks, but there's no spark at the plugs and no solenoid action in the fuel injectors. I've been scouring old threads here and I've come across lots of useful information that helped me troubleshoot. After ruling out the main relay and testing to make sure that I have power on DME pins 18 and 35 I started testing the crank position sensor. I get almost right at 960 ohms when I probe DME pins 25 and 26, which is what the spec calls for. But my understanding is that while the engine is cranking, the CPS should generate an AC current that I could test with my multimeter in AC mode. When I crank the engine I only see 0.2 volts on DME pins 25 and 26. This seems to me like there's not enough signal coming from the CPS. Has anyone gone through any similar testing and could tell me what sort of AC voltage you would expect from a properly seated and properly functioning CPS?

Thanks for the help. The archives of threads here are already a huge help in getting me started.
    Last edited by jreeder; 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM.

Grab a Bentley 3 series manual, check your ignition related components, coil, rotor, cap, wires, relays, etc... I think your engine has two sensors a crankshaft and a camshaft sensor... Either of those can be issues...

Comment

I do have two sensors, one is a crank speed sensor and the other is a crank position sensor. Both are located on the driver side of the transmission bell housing. I replaced both today and now I've got a spark. Unfortunately, now I've got a new problem. The engine will only start for a second and then immediately die. Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. But at least my CPS issue seems to be resolved.

Comment

Working...
      X