Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MT driveshaft, too short?

Hello!

I picked up a Dorman OE replacement driveshaft last week to put in during a m20 motor swap (found a rebuilt m20 locally for $800). I went to go put it in tonight, and I loosen the spline nut enough to attach it to the rear diff, and bam- it de-threads itself, it's about an inch too short.

build date- 3/1987, with dorman driveshaft 936-368, listed here:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Does the transmission need to slide back somehow? Is the rear plate thinner on the new shaft? I don't have my stock shaft anymore to compare against, a local e30 kid picked it up for his build.

edit: I did not reinstall the harmonic balancer thingy when I put it back together, but it doesn't seem that thick at all, and reading up here on rev makes it seem useless.

Found the issue.

The collar lock nut on the driveshaft was BONE DRY, and would not slide rearward at all. Since the item came as a complete unit drop in replacement, I would figure they greased it- but it is not.

After applying grease like the Bentley says, I managed to get it moving a bit, and slide it back towards the rear shaft threads and thread it on.

Mods, you may delete this thread. thank you. (No delete button upon trying to edit the thread)

Comment

No need to delete this thread, as its useful information for someone who may came across the same issue later!

Comment

Working...
      X