Weird Misfire and hasitatation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Misfire and hasitatation

M20b20 89 car is idling shitty poor gas mileage smells gas from the exhaust i suspected the tps i swapped a good one car runs ok that day then after two days problem came back only when cold and when it warms it works fine with a super rich smelling exhaust sometime it stays shitty.
    I gave up and parked it for a week with battery disconnected 2 days ago i started it it runs great right from start up all day no rich smell no hesitation until today i started it and the problem came back disconnected o2 sensor (thinking that o2 data corrupted A/F calculations) only very small improvement but still idling shitty and hasitates.
    Very frustrated any thoughts or suggestions of what causes my problem.
    Note: no starting problems car starts fine when cold and warm.

Pull out the Bentley manual, check all the temperature sensors, they may be feeding the ECU bad information.

Then check the O2 sensor.

How does it idle? Vacuum leaks will drive the ECU crazy.

Sorry, no quick and easy answer.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      Pull out the Bentley manual, check all the temperature sensors, they may be feeding the ECU bad information.

Thanks for your reply
      New temp sender
      No vac leak car start quick cold and warm

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post

Thanks man i think i got very near to solve it thanks to you.
        Today i started it and then i wiggled the temp sender harness and car idle stabilized and got back to normal i drove it for one hour and all seems fine no hasitation a little missfire maybe spark plugs got foulded from the shitty A/F i will clean them tomorrow and follow temp sensor wire to c101 to replace the damaged wires.
        Thanks alot you really helped me.
        Problem Solved.

Comment

cant tell you how many older Saabs and BMWs Ive fixed by simply unplugging and re plugging connectors... Im glad you got it fixed :-)
          JAK

Comment

Working...
          X