No spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark

Ok so I just got my 325i engine in my car. After a few problems I finally got it to turn over but I have no spark. Spark plug wires, spark plugs, coil, distributer cap and rotor, crank sensor, battery, fuses, relays are all new. Turns over great but no spark. When I put the ECU in the car everything plugged in except for one wire that is on a little wire harness connected to the main wire harness. It is a red wire with a blue strip not exactly sure what plugs into it. That wire runs directly into the ECU so I am thinking it might have something to do with it. When I got the car it didnt run and the wires under the dash were a mess so I dont know if I am missing a plug somewhere but maybe someone out there knows where this plugs in.

Do you have power going into the coil? Should be full 12v on start but less in run (like 8v I think). Check to see if there is power going to the coil. The wire should go from the coil over to the starter.

Comment

What about the wire from the ECU does that power the ecu maybe?

Comment

Unless you have tripple Webbers and have torn out the ecu I'm afraid I'm not going to be that much help.

Start at the source which you said is no spark. Pull a plug and lay it on the valve cover. Is the battery charged? Getting spark? if not than start backtracking with a test light.... coil, ecu, fuses, starter....

oh and hope someone who really knows these cars chimes in soon!

Comment

If the DME has power and a timing reference signal, it should fire the coil and thus have sparl. So the first thing to do is to verify that those conditions are present.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ok all new stuff, coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, everything....tested on a buddies car and worked perfect.. Pulled plug set on valve cover to see spark or not....no spark. I dont know if I have power to the ECU thats what I am asking....is that red wire with a blue stripe a power wire of some sort....looks like it. Battery is fully charged. Turns over great just no spark.....no power to the coil.

Comment

Ok, I found out that the red/blue wire is for auto trans only so it has nothing to do with my car. I still dont have any spark. I got a test light today and I will check the power to/from the coil and to the injectors. I was told this is a common problem....what could it be if I dont have power to the coil and injectors?

Comment

Working...
              X