No spark/fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark/fuel

Not getting any spark or fuel in my 88 325i. I have power on both wires on the coil I have power to the injectors. I have a new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, battery. The fuseable link was broke so I just jumped it with a wire for now. The car turns over good it just doesnt start due to no spark or fuel. Any other ideas? Are these issues related in any way maybe a relay or something. Please I need to get this things back on the road.

What diagnostic procedures have you already gone through to determine that there is no spark and no fuel? Do you have a Bentley manual? There is a pretty simple procedure for checking the cold start injector described there. I might start there. Other things I'd check or double check: Can you hear the fuel pump turning on (it's an E30...you should hear the fuel pump) I'd also double check your assertion that there is no spark. Seems like having no spark or no fuel is plausible but both at the same time seems less likely. Not impossible, just less likely.

Comment

Yeah I know its not fair having both at the same time. I pulled a plug and put it on the valve cover and turned it over and no spark. I turned over the engine and pulled each plug and there was no fuel on them but I have not pulled the fuel line to see if any fuel is coming through. I can hear the injectors turn on when I turn the key and I pulled one and checked it with a test light and showed power. The fuseable link was broke so I just jumped it with a wire for the time being. I tested the coil with a test light and I have power to the big and small wire with the key on. I have a new distributer cap and rotor, new plugs and wires. The DME came with the engine along with the wire harness so I know that is all working. The guy told me that the engine ran when he pulled it out and I talked to the shop that pulled it for him and they said it ran great.

Comment

Seems like having no spark or no fuel is plausible but both at the same time seems less likely. Not impossible, just less likely.
        Lack of spark and injector firing at the same time will be due to; no timing reference signal to the DMW, no power to the DME, or a bad DME. And this situation is actually fairly common since failure of the timing reference sensor will cause it.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

you sure there's no spark? i thought i had no spark but it was just checked in a weird way and didn't register.

for me, my no fuel was caused by bad fuel pump. it buzzed and sounded (and felt) like it worked fine but it just didn't do anything. replaced it and BAM, it fired up right away.

just letting you know how i fixed mine.

Comment

Working...
          X