sputter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sputter?

well a sputter is the best way i can explain the noise i hear. It happens mostly in second gear but sometimes in first. when i accelerate hard in first, its like the engine sputters down and then gets no it hard like it should and it sometimes does the same thing in second gear. any solutions or maybe some ideas on what it could be? or maybe someone had the same problem as me. i dont know but its starting to get on my nerves.
    oh and it doesnt effect my driving at all after second gear.

thanks
    E30Fiend
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Check all the basic stuff to start with (intake leaks, throttle/TPS adjustment, ICV, valve adjustment, plugs, ignition wires, rotor, and distributor cap).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Vacuum leak. Wiggle some of your vacuum (air) and fuel hoses and if any look dry, then replace them.

Dry air hoses will introduce unmeasured air into the system and could definitely be a culprit, such as Intake boot, ICV hose and small vacuum hoses.

On the flip side, could have a problem with the fuel lines (doubtful though). When you accelerate hard, your engine craves alot of fuel. I suspect that you are sucking some air in those fuel lines under that higher fuel pressure, IE your lines are cracking.
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Totally sounds like a nice vacuum leak. When you step on the gas the engine vacuum increases and starts sucking in air from this leak, ultimately making it run way too lean to make any power.
        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

hey thanks guys. i know all of the other terms mentioned except for ICV. is that an abreviation for idle air control valve?

thanks
          E30Fiend
          Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
          Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Working...
          X