m20 head rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 head rebuild

I'm planning on doing some stuff to my m20.. it has around 160k but on cold starts it smokes... i need new valve seals and new rear main seal.... so I thought might as well rebuilt the head. So, my questions are:
    how much of a budget would i need for
    272cam/springs/rockers
    i assume valves would not need replacement as this is gonna be first rebuild
    cleaning+prepping+installing cam (might do the installment myself)
    port matching valve seating... all the basic rebuild stuff

Now, if i would use 272 cam, would it be ok with stock injectors + airbox, or should I go M50 inj. and m30 afm? If so, then how much would I be spending on that? (m50 inj. + m30 afm) I don't want to go standalone... so would a chip be sufficient to make the most out of that stuff? perhaps a custom chip?

P.S. if I'm getting new cam or rockers they are interconnected? IE I can't put new rockers w/ old cam/old rockers w/ new cam correct?

My own guess is around $1200 for all that mentioned above?
    sigpic

If you have to ask.....

I know guys who have spent well over $1,200 in just machine work on an m10 head. Just to clean up the head, reseat some valves, replace guides, 3-angle job, etc. will probaly get you around your $1,200 mark. Cams are expensive so is that included? New stock rockers are cheap - a good idea IMO.

You could find a competant shop to rebuild your head and do all the labor for you for $1,200 or you could spend $1,200 on just porting & CC work - it all depends on how far you want to take it

Comment

iv just rebuilt my head in my garage, saved me a fortune
      sigpicif it aint broke fix it anyway

Comment

On my stock head I got machined flat, pressure checked, all valve guides replaced, valve grind, and valve seats replaced I BELIEVE machine work was in the $500-$600 range. I wanna say around $520-ish. Shrick cams are around $500, Rocker arms will be about $150, get new eccentrics while youre in there, and then youll also need stiffer valve springs to use with that cam which will be another couple hundred dollars.

Will
        RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
        Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
        DaveCN = Old Man
        My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
        If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
          On my stock head I got machined flat, pressure checked, all valve guides replaced, valve grind, and valve seats replaced I BELIEVE machine work was in the $500-$600 range. I wanna say around $520-ish. Shrick cams are around $500, Rocker arms will be about $150, get new eccentrics while youre in there, and then youll also need stiffer valve springs to use with that cam which will be another couple hundred dollars.

Will
          this sound more like what I wanna do... just refresh the head, not any major mods yet.
          sigpic

Comment

I'll be doing the same thing shortly and I'm also thinking about camming my engine while it's apart. Anybody have any cam thoughts?
            '89 325is S50 Track Montser
            '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Working...
            X