Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

while i have the engine out, what should i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while i have the engine out, what should i do?

i took the engine/tranny out to change out the transmission since one of the bolts was rounded off. now that i have it out, what should i do? i took off all the A/C equipment already. it added up to 34 pounds. i also have all the hardware to freshen up the shift linkage. clutch is pretty new. belts are good.

i was thinking maybe lightening the flywheel? how much would that run me at a machine shop? also maybe urethane engine mounts? i need ideas people! :)

not that its hard to do with the engine in the car but the t-belt would be nice to do out of the car along with belts and hoses. If you want to spend money then just start replacing anything you can think off. I love working on motors that are out of the car. Clean it really good and do some painting.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

ya that's a good idea. i'll do lots of cleaning in the engine bay. :)

Comment

+1 for timing belt & water pump. Also inspect the brake lines that run across the firewall. Check out the sound proofing on the firewall...

clean & paint the motor, replace the heat shield exhaust gasket, replace any vacuum lines, etc. Good time to take off your intake & clean that up/paint/powder coat it... How much money do you have and how far do you want to go with this?

How's your oil pan gasket? Oil filter housing gasket & that o-ring (that is leaking on my motor)? How's your power steering pump/rack, etc? Suspension? Tie rods, etc.???

Flywheel should be about 1.5-2 hours at a machine shop. That should be enough to get you ~3lbs off. Remember to properly resurface the step while you are in there. Tranny seals, power wash gearbox & refresh all the little shifter stuff you mentioned. Giubo...

I'm sure there is more....

Comment

Working...
        X