Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm an idiot, why won't my spark plug socket fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an idiot, why won't my spark plug socket fit?

I just changed the plugs on the M42 and need to do it on my 325is as well. The M42 went fine but I'm having some trouble with the 325.

Do I have to remove the coolant reservoirs? It seems like I do in order to get to the middle ones.

Most importantly, why won't my standard spark plug socket fit?

I unplugged the wire, tried to put it in but it doesn't seem to grab on... it's the same damn socket I just used on the M42. I'm putting in NGK BKR6EK for both engines. I don't know what plug is in there now.

I use a 21mm for the m20 plugs. Or it could be a 22mm but I am 95% sure it is 21mm. To get to the ones in the middle, just use the shortest extension that you can. No need to remove anything.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Wtf, did I even get the right spark plugs for the car? I'm gonna kill that guy at the dealership. It seems the spark plugs BKR6EK are not for the M20 engine and he even gave me the wrong air filter.

Comment

you know there is a spark plug wrench in the toolbox on the trunk lid. It works great. Also know that you are only supposed to torque them to something like 16ft/lbs which is not that much. The BMW tool works quite nicely IMO.

Comment

My craftsman sprak plug wrench works great.. Even with a turbo in the way. Only one extension and a Swivel.
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

The plugs are a different size.

The spark plugs on the M42 take a standard 5/8 spark plug tool.

The M20 uses a standard 13/16 spark plug tool.
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

When going for NGK (which are great plugs btw), best to use ZGR5A for stock M20i engines, and BP6ES for high-compression modded engines.
                This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Working...
                X