Quick Dumb question! Normal or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Dumb question! Normal or not?

When pulling out the oil dipstick while the car is running, the idle change erratically. Normal or not?

normal

Comment

Creates a Vacuum leak.
      :: PNW Crew ::
      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Thank you sir!!!! This have been bothering a lot!

Comment

I have a followup question about this. Doesn't the valve cover breather hose attach to the TB BEFORE the throttle plate? Therefore this would not really create a vacuum leak?

I've been told that if I open the oil filler cap OR if I pull the dipstick the idle should change - since mine does not I'm wondering what's going on... Also perhaps I have screwed up and switched the valve cover breather hose and the ICV hose??? Although I don't think that's possible because of the orientation of the fittings on the TB.....

Is the valve cover breather hose attachment on the TB before or after the throttle plate???

Comment

Originally posted by winstontj View Post
            I have a followup question about this. Doesn't the valve cover breather hose attach to the TB BEFORE the throttle plate? Therefore this would not really create a vacuum leak?

I've been told that if I open the oil filler cap OR if I pull the dipstick the idle should change - since mine does not I'm wondering what's going on... Also perhaps I have screwed up and switched the valve cover breather hose and the ICV hose??? Although I don't think that's possible because of the orientation of the fittings on the TB.....

Is the valve cover breather hose attachment on the TB before or after the throttle plate???
            You're right, but there's another breather tube under the manifold that's after the throttle.
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

A lack of change in idle when pulling the dipstick or removing the oil filler cap could be due to a bad PCV, or an intake leak that prevents normal pressure in the intake.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X