damage evaluation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damage evaluation.

Hello all, my first post, reffered by a friend, anyway...

im looking at a e30, an 87 m20 2 dr with 129k miles to be exact, in the add the onwer listed valves and timing chain replaced 1000 miles ago. that led me to believe that the timing chain broke and the valves were destoryed by the pistons.

My question: what are the chances that the rod bearings are damaged if the timing chain broke and pistons and valves colided? what other damage is possible from the timing chain breaking?

all answers much apreciated, thanks

Nate
    97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
    2001 330ci 5 speed
    83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

If the car has an M20 engine it has a timing belt, not a chain. And the belt is supposed to be changed every 30k. Noting in the add that belt was recently changed doesn't necessarily imply that it broke and may mean that it was simply changed on schedule.

In the general case a belt failure simply destroys one or more valves and may destroy one or more pistions. That sort of event rarely damages the bottom end.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

hmm, the guy said over the phone it was a 2.5 litre but in the add he doesn't specify which 325 it is, just says 325, did the 2.7 motor use a chain? I hope this guy just mixed the word chain with belt.
      2001 330ci 5 speed
      83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Don't listen to the guy above you , he does'nt know what he's talking about and obviously did not even read your post .

The belt has a service life of 60k miles and should be changed right about there or you'll be on borrowed time .

You are correct in your assumpiton of it snapping since the ad says valves were also replaced .
        I would think that since a shop took care of the valves that there was no damage to the lower end or they surely would have gotten the pO for that as well .

Since that car is an '87 is can be the lowly low reving 2.7 of the 325e or the more desireable high reving 2.5 of the 325i .
        Both engines utilize the timing belt .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Ok, thanks, i though that first reply looked like BS, it was obvious he didn't read my post, the owner says its the 2.5 which is good i just hope he knows what he is talking about. Im glad to hear that the belts last 60k cause 30k seems like a short life.

nice e30 BTW.
          2001 330ci 5 speed
          83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Working...
          X