emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emissions

i recently took my car in for an inspection and it failed emissions for hc's and co's at idle at 2200 it passed this leaves me thinking the egr valve is stuck open. Does anyone have any clues on where i can buy a new egr valve?

Comment

Nobody makes egr valves for our cars anymore, you are SOL.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I didn't even know there was a EGR valve...
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

You'll be looking for that EGR valve for a looong time. These cars were not so equipped. If it had one and it was hanging open at idle, it would idle horribly anyway. There primarily for the reduction of NOx, not HC or CO.

Anyway, on to your problem. Look at your Vane Airflow Meter, located on the airbox. It's the sensor the intake tube attaches to. In one corner of it there will be a little plastic plug. Under it you will find a screw. Take note of the orientation of the screw (you'll want to put it back to where it was) and turn it out, making sure to count the turns (again, to facilitate putting it back where it belongs.) What you just did was open up an internal air bypass a little further, letting more air in past the sensor. Since it goes around the VAM, it doesnt add any more fuel for that quanity of air. Your car is now running leaner at idle. (This adjustment only makes a difference at low airflow so it messes with idle only)

HC is hydrocarbon, unburnt fuel from somewhere. Misfire? Too rich? CO is carbon monoxide. Not enough oxygen for the fuel burnt to achieve "optimum" combustion. Again, too rich would cause it. Leaning out will help both of those tests.
          -Dave
          2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

i think that is the smartest post ive ever seen on r3v

its got everything, its got what you need to do and an explanation on your reasoning... wow
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

ill try that

Comment

picture

with only if there is a picture for the newbies it would be the best best ever.
                second to that, HC is the most common. If you are high on HC there is more likely a vacuum leak or running rich. If you were watching them do the emissions test and you see that everytime they switch to nuetral and your meter runs over to the red zone, you most likely have a fail ICV.

Comment

Working...
                X