Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning cylinders while the head is off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning cylinders while the head is off?

So I have the head off my car, and I notice there is a certain amount of rough carbon buildup on the top of the pistons and the combustion chamber. Is it safe to use Carb/Brake Cleaner and a plastic bristle bruch to try and remove some of the buildup? Or is it even worth the time to do?

You can scrape off the carbon and blow each cylinder clean with compressed air. But why bother? At least some deposit will build back up. How much depends on how you drive the car and whether it is running with the correct mixture.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      You can scrape off the carbon and blow each cylinder clean with compressed air. But why bother? At least some deposit will build back up. How much depends on how you drive the car and whether it is running with the correct mixture.

but if he loves his car he should do it, shit i would i wouldn't care if it takes time or not. by the way it wont hurt your car have that WD40 on side after all that cleaning.

Comment

I just pulled my head. I used break cleaner to clean everything up that you just mentioned. It doesn't matter too much. It will just return. But it makes you feel good and it builds a sense of connection with your car. You shouldn't need a brush. A shop rag worked well enough for me. I just used lots of cleaner.

~Zar4

Comment

Working...
        X