Car not going into gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car not going into gear?

All of a sudden I can't get the car in gear anymore. It's pretty much impossible to put the car in gear from neutral when the car's running. I have to shut off the car and then start it in first, but it goes fine into gear when the engine isn't running. There's also sooooooo much slop in the shifter it's ridiculous. When the car is in first gear, the shifter can go far enough over to make it look like it's in 3rd. Think replacing all of the shifter bushings will help or is my tranny shot (don't think it's the clutch since it isn't slipping)?

That sounds like a clutch that isn't fully disengaging. The problem could lie in the clutch hydraulic system, or it could be worn parts inside of the bell housing.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

is the "slop" you describe sudden onset, appearing at the same time as the other issues?
      --Will

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
        is the "slop" you describe sudden onset, appearing at the same time as the other issues?
        No, the slop has been there since i bought it 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          That sounds like a clutch that isn't fully disengaging. The problem could lie in the clutch hydraulic system, or it could be worn parts inside of the bell housing.
          Only thingI can think of is that it does not have any brake fluid?

Comment

If it does not have any brake fluid, add some. If you cant get the car into gear when the engine is running, then the master or slave cylinder for the clutch could be leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by mode View Post
              If it does not have any brake fluid, add some. If you cant get the car into gear when the engine is running, then the master or slave cylinder for the clutch could be leaking.
              When I mean it has no brake fluid, i have to replace one of the lines, there's a hole in it.

Comment

You are trying to drive a car with broken brake lines?

Comment

If the clutch system has no fluid, that would explain your problem. Fix the leak, whether it is the brakes or the clutch, then flush and bleed both systems.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

slave

probably your slave cylinder. Or if you have rediculous amount of play, it might be the bushing that holds the shift lever in place. the metal bar that that ball part sits in, has a bushing, if its gone, then you'll have rediculous slop, and when your engine is on and vibrating, you'll probably be having an impossible time engagin, but when its not on, then there is no vibration, so you can still move the shifter back and forth.

Comment

Working...
                    X