ICV help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICV help

I have a small problem with or at least I think relating to my ICV. I had a new engine installed about 1 month ago in my 88 325iS. I had a 2.7 liter motor put together w/Shrick cam (something wildish, like a 292~ idles like crap but w/e) slight porting, but pretty much stock everything else (AFM, injectors etc etc). Oh and it has a lightened 12lbs flywheel and a solid disc 4 puck racing clutch. Ran it on a stock 173 DME (regular was a 153) for about one week to break it in (aprox. 1000kms). The following week I changed the injectors to the Ford 19lbs. Immediately the Check Engine light popped on (which is another issue, anyone care to elaborate??). Car ran miles better though, much more stronger. The same week I had a custom MarkD chip made for the 173 to compliment the 2.7 motor.

As soon as I got the car back, the gas was very snappy and rough. I figured I would give it some kms to learn how to run again since the computer was unplugged. The car ran great, readjusted idle to 1k, new redline at 7k. Except the snappy annoying gas did not go away. When I pushed the gas it was like either 0% gas or ~20% gas. Hence making it snappy. Wouldn't drive smooth, was a bitch to park, etc etc. Also after I had driven it for a couple hundred kms after I got it back, it would 'hunt' for an idle at traffic lights when I stopped. So I figured maybe something was wrong with the ICV. I unplugged it, and immediately the cars idle dropped to nearly 600 and on the verge of stalling. BUT it ran so much better. The gas harshness problem is gone, so much smoother to drive, only downside is the idle is again too low. If I replug the ICV in the idle goes wacky and the gas is too snappy. I tried another ICV and it did the same thing.

What gives??

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Things that come to mind:

TPS
    Idle setting (throttle plate)

The computer sets the idle speed if everything is adjusted correctly.

Comment

I had the same symptoms on a stock engine and it was the TPS. The TPS has an idle switch and a WOT switch - it sounds like your idle switch isn't working. I'd get a multimeter and test for continuity between the prongs on the TPS as you open/close the throttle.

Comment

Working...
      X