Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my engine block clean enough to mount the head? (PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my engine block clean enough to mount the head? (PICS)

Been scrubbing like crazy and using a wire brush on the block to clean it up. It still doesn't seem perfect.

WATERPUMP SURROUND:

Does all that need to come off? What's the best way?

looks ok, green scotch brite is your friend....

Comment

try a gasket scraper or razor blade, thats what I use at work, lots of brake cleans too.

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
      function>form

Comment

No no no, do NOT use scotchbrite. For shits sake people. That abrasive will find its way into your cylinder bores, and get trapped in the piston rings. Using abrasives to clean a sealing surface is always a bad idea.

Use a razor blade (in a solid holder) to scrape the rest of the crap off. If you have compressed air and a die grinder then use a 3M Roloc bristle disc, they are made for this.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
          No no no, do NOT use scotchbrite. For shits sake people. That abrasive will find its way into your cylinder bores, and get trapped in the piston rings. Using abrasives to clean a sealing surface is always a bad idea.

Use a razor blade (in a solid holder) to scrape the rest of the crap off. If you have compressed air and a die grinder then use a 3M Roloc bristle disc, they are made for this.

stupid me, i meant the brown discs, i pulled a brainfart. I need to stop posting while writing up invoices for customers at work. Sorry for the stupid. I meant 3M and scotchbrite came out.

Comment

No, it's not clean enough because you have metal shavings inside every orifice on your block!!

Comment

cleaning surface for gasket

use razor like everyone said... its the best way... I wouldnt use a wire brush for gaskets surfaces... its kind of too rough...

Comment

what should I use to clean the surface/holes? Compressed air then a wipe with alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by amdspitfire View Post
                  what should I use to clean the surface/holes? Compressed air then a wipe with alcohol?
                  -I'd wipe with some brake-clean/parts cleaner, but I guess alcohol will work.
                  1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Working...
                  X