Another Idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Idle problem

could someone with some experience on the subject lend some advice ?

ive got idle issues namely my idle wants to hunt between 500 and like 1200 rpm.

my car is an 84 325e.

ive sprayed every connection and possible opening with carb cleaner with no results. ive cleaned and tested my icv... several times. nothin.

its kind of an intermittant problem too it seems to get worse when the cars warm
    removing the oil filler cap and or dipstick doesnt change the idle at all and disconnecting vacuum hoses doesnt do much either like for instance if i disconnect the brake booster line it runs almost the same

if i disconnect the icv electrical connector it goes to the failure mode where it revs up cuts fuel revs up etc

so is this a huge vacuum leak or what?

ive never compression checked the engine but it does use some oil on the highway. could excessive blow by into the pcv system cause these symptoms? there is quite a bit of oil in the throttle body

my intake boot fits a little bit loose on the maf end but once its clamped up i can spray the shit out of it with carb cleaner with no change to the idle, injector o-rings, and all hoes onto the intake boot give me nothin when i spray the connection ends

where else can i look?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Could be an intake leak, bad ICV, or on this car a bad ICM, or a misadjusted throttle/TPS. Figuring out which is a matter of eliminating possibilities. Start with a through inspection of every hose and the like that is associated with the intake. And note that leaks into the crankcase, fuel evproative control system, or brake booster are "hidden" intake leaks. Next would be adjustment of the throttle & TPS and verification of TPS operation. If that doesn't cure the problem swapping in a known good ICV and ICM would be the ext step.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

idle issue

had this problem on my 325 i. turned out to be throttle position sensor doohickey was not adjusted correctly. got it fixed at a shop while having other work done.
      Cochran
      '88 325iC - daily driver, work in progress

Comment

Working...
      X