Oil leak....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak....?

Well I just drove my car back to my house, a 2.5 hour journey. It sat in the garage last night, and I found out today that it looks like it is leaking oil. I investigated a little and found that it looks to be coming from the front part of the transmission. Where it actually mounts to the motor. Does anyone know what might be causing this? The car hasnt been driven an extreme amount by the previous owner, so I guess it could potentially be the old seals reheating and settling in. But I am not sure. Any advice would be great! Thanks
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    This is the internet. Just make something up.

Front trans seal, rear main seal, or a portion of pan seal missing/failed (latter happened to me!). I was surprised to find part of my pan seal in the oil pump pickup!
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

What would you say the difficulty of replacing those is? I heard the rear main seal is a pain in the butt.
      Last edited by 5spoke; 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

Since the bottom of the bellhousing is one of the lowest parts of the engine oil leaking elsewhere can wind up dripping off at that point. Before pulling the transmission to replace a rear main or transmission input seal one should verify that is necessary by making sure the leak isn't from the valve cover, oil filter adapter, etc. If the engine is dirty doing that might require a complete engine cleaning...
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X