My dry start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dry start issue

I have a 1992 318 conv. and I have a dry start issue. I have had the car for a couple of years now and this has never been a problem before. If the car sets for several hours it will have a dry start problem. If the time period is shorter it starts normal. I have checked several things oil level, oil pressure, oil grade. It has a cartridge style oil filter and I have had the top off the resevor a couple of times this week and the resevor is empty after it sets several hours. Is there a one way check valve to prevent the
    filter housing from draining out the oil? I have put oil in the housing before starting and it starts properly. Has anyone else had this problem before or
    worked on a related situation?

By dry start issue I'd guess that you are talking about lifter click for a few seconds on a cold start. If that is a correct assumption, a slightly heavier grade of oil might help.

Another factor might be the choice of oil filter. I've found that they aren't equal and some impose a greater restriction than others. The best I've found are the OE (Mahn) variety.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

That and the car you are talking about has an M42 motor.

M42s have hydralic lifters that will get pretty noisey after a bunch of miles. Mine are pretty loud, but it does not cause any harm.

Originally posted by vlad
      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
      X