mid rpm range knock????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mid rpm range knock????

shortly befor I left for deployment I decided to service my '92 vert. this included spark plugs,rotor,cap,oil change, and a valve adj. soon afterwards the car devoloped a rough idle and a knock in the rpm range of 3k-3.7k. a week later I left for deployment.... since returning two weeks ago I have put 1,000 mi on the car with the same symptoms...could the knock be in the head..? or the bottom end :-( maybe its a elect. problem causing a lean mixture,therefore producing a knock?? anyone with a similar problem???

Are you sure you're hearing detonation? Could it simply be hesitating at a certain RPM? And is it doing this only when you're under high load?

Comment

due the fuel filter and clean the injectors... that helped mine. guess it was starving a bit at load.
      sigpic
      - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Check valve adjustment. Likely suspect!!

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

I bet it is a rod knock.

But, I am a dick, so just go R3V it up to about 7K and sidestep the clutch.

Post pics of the carnage, please.

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Oh yeah...and carry a bag of kitty litter in your trunk.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

the noise occurs even when not under load. I did discover while cleaning the engine bay today that the little square black cover on my MAF has become unglued. possible contamination to the potentiometer inside??? could cause a false airflow signal?? and in turn dick-up the mixture. my spark plugs were carboned upon removal. and after only about 2,000 miles on them.... I will change the fuel filter though. since it will need to be done anyway and I will have the car in the air tomorrow to replace my clutch slave cyl.

Comment

GL man...hope I am wrong.

I was under the impression that the M20 won't run at all with the AFM unplugged.

Closing SOON!

Comment

not unplugged, just the little cover fell off. and I did discover a pretty nasty crack in my intake boot.......which most definately caused a jacked-up idle. being that the crack was right in front of my idle control valve.... does any one know where to purchase an aluminum intake boot replacement????????

Comment

I doubt it, you'd have to get the intake pipe made unfortunately.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Working...
                    X