325e clucth opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325e clucth opinions?

Well after spending about $300.00 on mechanics and new compueter and a bunch of sensor, apparently a little metal part on my flywheels is missing. This little piece tells the cranks sensor when to fire up. My car has been sitting for two months and I'm frustrated. I don't want to sell the car becuse it ran like a champ before.

Now, I have a used tranny so I swap it and that way it should be cheaper that getting a new flywheel and of course replace the clutch while I'm at it, etc. The only problem is that I don't know the condition of the tranny that I have sitting in the garage.

This is not 100% that would solve the prblem but is it worht it.....

What do you guys think. Is there a way I can bypass the CPS?

Thanks,
    C
    Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Swapping the transmission isn't going to help. You need a replacement flywheel, either a new one or a used one. A used flywheel may need resurfacing. Once you are that far in it would make sense to replace the pressure plate, clutch disc, rear main seal, pilot & throwout bearing. A Sachs or OE clutch kit + seal would be fine on an ETA.

You can't "bypass the CPS" as it is a critical part of the engine management system. Well... If you swapped in an M20B25, harness, and DME I guess that could be considered a type of bypass.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

oh man, what a pain.. I have to think about the engine swap...

Comment

best bet just get a used flywheel, should be cheap, resurface/balance it shouldnt be too much, get a new oem clutch not horribly expensive

if you do it yourself thats all the parts, if you pay for someone else to do it, well i guess its in gods hands there

if thats your e36 pictured, lose the "eyebrows"
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
          best bet just get a used flywheel, should be cheap, resurface/balance it shouldnt be too much, get a new oem clutch not horribly expensive

if you do it yourself thats all the parts, if you pay for someone else to do it, well i guess its in gods hands there

if thats your e36 pictured, lose the "eyebrows"

Thanks for the input, I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry about the eyebrows but I can't lose them.

Comment

So your reference pin is missing? You can drill and tap a hole and put a screw in it's place. Just has to be steel so it can be picked up by the magnetic sensor.

You could also upgrade your flywheel to single mass. Just grab one out of an early production car ('84-85).

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
              So your reference pin is missing? You can drill and tap a hole and put a screw in it's place. Just has to be steel so it can be picked up by the magnetic sensor.

You could also upgrade your flywheel to single mass. Just grab one out of an early production car ('84-85).
              I think what he's saying is correct. I've heard of people using JB weld, but I wouldn't trust that. I had this break on my 325es. If you need a cheap clutch kit, i have one with about 60k miles on it that works perfect. $50 + shipping and it's yours.
              -Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post

Cool thanks so much for your help, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                  Cool thanks so much for your help, I'll give it a shot.
                  No problem.

A friend did this on a Porsche back in the day. Used different tapped points to advance timing on a stock-class car. Good cheat (if there is such a thing), no inspector could find it.

By the way, nice E36, always loved that car since the article.

Comment

thanks man, the E36 is my garage queen at the moment.^^^

I just want to get her up and running at this point it's sad every time I leave to work in the morning and not being able to take her for a spin.

Comment

Should be easy enough for you. Just use a lift at a heated shop. And be ready for the starter bolts, they suck.

Good luck. I know the feeling, wish my coupe was on the road at the moment. Driving newer cars isnt the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X