Might have hosed my engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have hosed my engine

Noob mistake - I was trying to get my cam sprocket off and the sprocket rotated at least 3/4 of an inch with the timing belt off. What are the odds that I bent a valve?
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

How hard were you yanking on it? Hard enough that the cam stopped turning and you continued to aplpy enough pressure to bend a valve? Or did it just move?

If you just moved it, your fine, just put it back. If you turned it until it stops and applied force, well, depends if it was enough force to bend a valve. (I would doubt it in most instances, unless you were really wrenching the crap out of it)
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

dang...that sucks man. i would install the new t-belt and then turn the motor manually while everything is apart, just to see if everything it still good to go. but it not. that sucks..

Comment

pretty unlikely that you did anything at all.

Comment

Thanks - I've never worked on OHC valvetrain before or an interference engine. Before I rotate the engine by hand to check cam timing, I'll pull the plugs so I can go gently and hopefully feel it if there's a major interference.

Any other advice?
          "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Both the crank pulley and cam pulley are marked for TDC. If you just turned the cam by hand, there's pretty much no chance anything got bent.

Dont turn the crank, leave it at TDC. By hand, turn the cam pulley back to TDC, then put on belt. It'll be fine.

Comment

Unless you went gorilla force on the crank you will likely be ok.

As redhatpat stated above both crank and cam are marked for TDC. Get them aligned by turning each slowly. If you feel resistance stop turning the crank and turn the cam back.

You should be ok.
              sigpic
              - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Working...
              X