Replacing Coolant Housing - Fuel Rail in the Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Coolant Housing - Fuel Rail in the Way

I am replacing my busted coolant housing (that the thermostat housing bolts to) and it appears that the fuel rail has to move half an inch to clear. Does that mean I have to go through the whole procedure for pulling the rail off, or is there a way to just massage it a bit for the clearance I need. StereoInstaller, feel free to post the sledge pic :D

BTW I am picking up a 1/4" torque wrench today.

"If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

I really didn't want to mess with the fuel rail, so here's what I did:

The coolant housing slides out on 2 studs (see pic) that are attached to the head. I backed the lower stud out of the head with vice grips. That allowed the coolant housing to swing down away from the fuel rail & then slide the rest of the way off the top stud. Will be a little awkward to put back in, but worth it to leave the fuel rail alone.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
      StereoInstaller, feel free to post the sledge pic :D
      Errrrr, sorry. You will need a bigger tool for that one, themz is a bitch!

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Oh yeah, and now for the tech help. Here is my recommendation:

Considering the condition of your cooling system, I would bet your fuel system has a trashed o-ring or three. Fortunately, they are cheap, but kind of tough to find. If I cannot get BMW parts (fortunately, they deliver) I use NAPA.

So, you can pull your fuel rail completely off with like 4 bolts, and while off, replace all 6 injector seals AND the fuel pressure regulator seal...not a bad idea to replace the fuel line as well (get BMW ONLY on this, trust me)

While all of this is out, do your cooling passages. Like you didn't know that part, right?

Otherwise:

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          Oh yeah, and now for the tech help. Here is my recommendation:

Considering the condition of your cooling system, I would bet your fuel system has a trashed o-ring or three. Fortunately, they are cheap, but kind of tough to find. If I cannot get BMW parts (fortunately, they deliver) I use NAPA.

So, you can pull your fuel rail completely off with like 4 bolts, and while off, replace all 6 injector seals AND the fuel pressure regulator seal...not a bad idea to replace the fuel line as well (get BMW ONLY on this, trust me)

While all of this is out, do your cooling passages. Like you didn't know that part, right?

Otherwise:
          +1

The fuel rail isn't hard to remove at all.. takes about 5 minutes. There are four 10mm mounting bolts that mount the rail to the intake manifold. After that, you can just pull the whole thing out.

At least you had fun though :)

91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Actually, I didn't know that. Can you post a link or explain?

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
              Actually, I didn't know that. Can you post a link or explain?
              As in replace the gaskets/orings etc....the stuff you are posting about currently.

How is progress otherwise?

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Progress is good. I'm trying to be throrough and do all the work recommended that goes along with the TB change, plus fixing the stuff I'm breaking due to ignorance and lack of a small torque wrench. The only task that probably needs doing, but I'm too chicken, is changing the front crankshaft seal.

A good sign is that I'm starting to install some new parts rather than just take the old stuff off. My Bentley manual arrived so now I have torque values, spark plug gaps etc.

I have spent many hours searching this forum (won't admit to being on the other one, nudge nudge wink wink) and discovered many hours of joy coming in my future to get my old car up to snuff.

Thanks to all for the advice, help with parts, and um, moral support.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

I received a thermostat housing from fap99 that has two extra sensor holes...wtf?

Comment

Do the camshaft seal and waterpump while you are there. You'll regret it later on if you don't.
                    Break the nut loose on the cam shaft sprocket before you take the timing belt off.

This is what it looks like with the sprocket off. Notice the gooy, icky mess? That is because I didn't change mine when the I was doing the belt.

Of course the whole engine is getting rebuilt now, so it doesn't matter anyway.
                    1987 E30 325is
                    1999 E46 323i
                    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I received a thermostat housing from fap99 that has two extra sensor holes...wtf?
                      That's what you get these days. The new OE housing I bought a month ago also had two extra tapped holes. I grabbed a couple of universal drain plugs from Advance to fill them.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325 View Post
                        According to RealOEM, the extra holes can be (should be) filled with a 14mm plug.

01 THERMOSTAT HOUSING 1 09/1987 11531730470 $56.08
                        ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH
                        -- SCREW PLUG AM14X1,5 2 09/1987 07119919228 $0.61
                        -- GASKET RING A14X18-AL 2 09/1987 07119963200 $0.22

Comment

^ thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                          X