Timing Belt Issues - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Issues - help

I have an 89 325i and recently my timing belt broke while driving. From the research I have done, it seems very common that this would cause damage to the cylinder heads. Any advice?

If I fix the timing belt and remove the head and get it repaired, do you think that would fix it? Do I need to be concerned about any other damage caused by the broke timing belt?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

M20's are interference motors, if the engine turns over after the belt breaks, the pistons are going to smack the valves that are sticking down. Could lead to piston damage, but usually not. My timing belt broke right after I bought my car, a couple days before I was going to change it to be preventative (so I know the feeling). The head will be $$$ to get rebuilt, especially if you bring the whole car to a shop. I bent every valve on my head, and instead of just buying a good used head, I had it rebuilt. It was a lot. It wouldnt cost as much if you remove the head and bring it to a shop to fix the valves plus whatever else and rebuild it, but then you're stuck doing most of the mechanical work. I dont remember how much they cost, but IIRC there are rebuilt heads on eBay sometimes. I don't know about going that route though. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just look for a very good clean, used, running head and swap it over. Either do that or just get your head rebuilt...

Comment

Hey! Guess what, there's a forum for this.

Comment

Working...
      X