Huge problem... Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge problem... Options?

Okay, so being the idiot that I am (trust me you don't wanna know) I think I went and done blew up ma engine. I won't go into details just know that it doesn't even turn over anymore. Because I overheated it. Congratulations, me.

So anyway, a question; Would it be cheaper to rebuild my M20 or look for another engine to swap in? Mechanical expertise isn't an issue. However, money is. Whatever route I go I'll end up going with forced induction eventually so that is going into my decision.

Any help on this will be, and is, greatly appreciated.
    sigpic
    Been over a year and it still doesn't the other motor mount made...

It really is going to depend on how FUBAR'd your engine is...
    Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Yea, true that. After I posted that, I did some reading and it may just be the fan clutch... But, uhh... I kinda hope it is toasted. Not from a monetary point, but from a mechanical point. Think of all the possibilities!
      sigpic

Comment

Rebuilds are expensive. Check out your engine, if it really is dead, get a good running used engine for a few hundred $ and drop it in. Way, way, cheaper than rebuilding your engine, and a lot easier and quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by redhatpat View Post
          Rebuilds are expensive. Check out your engine, if it really is dead, get a good running used engine for a few hundred $ and drop it in. Way, way, cheaper than rebuilding your engine, and a lot easier and quicker.
          Xlargenumber

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Easier and quicker, yes. Cheaper, yea probably. So that leaves the problem of finding one. I know the junkyards around me mostly likey don't have any BMW's... But... Ooohh... I know a cheap and effective solution... A Chevy V8... Or... A V6 I have a 3800 V6... Oh my god... I might have just solved my problem.
            sigpic

Comment

T5+3.8L+anassloadofwork= quick E30!

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

america 6s suck balls imo
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  T5+3.8L+anassloadofwork= quick E30!
                  My thoughts exactly!

And if the V6 doesn't work out, small block V8 would be a good choice.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by duodvlhntr View Post
                    small block V8 would be a good choice.
                    Negative.

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
                    Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
                    E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

4.3 V6 + Turbo

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                        Negative.
                        Why's that? I mean, I can't say that I don't agree with you, it'd be a terrible idea but, why? Just looking for some insight.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by duodvlhntr View Post
                          Why's that? I mean, I can't say that I don't agree with you, it'd be a terrible idea but, why? Just looking for some insight.
                          Having the distributer on the back of the motor poses a problem. Puts the motor in a less-than-ideal position in the engine, that combined with the iron block means alot of weight far forward.

The ls1 on the other hand...

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
                          Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
                          E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

its an european car. keep it that way. if you go small block v8 that means you dont have the skill to build any other motors. plus who wants to be a hick. just my insight on this. p.s. i HATE american cars

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                              its an european car. keep it that way. if you go small block v8 that means you dont have the skill to build any other motors. plus who wants to be a hick. just my insight on this. p.s. i HATE american cars
                              LOL, ask Firestorm how much skill it is taking him to drop his LS1 into his e30. Or any other member that desided to do a different swap instead of a I6 BMW motor.

1992 BMW 325iC
                              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                              X