distributor rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

distributor rotor

wont come off:x...the 3, 3mm allen bolts will not loosen the allen wrench bends, the allan socket tries to tear apart the inside of the bolts. any tips on how to get this off. my car is outside in pieces( there is a solid metal radiator hose was infront of the cap...so we had to losen it, and to get to it we had to remove the other hoses) and its getting dark so any ideas are good.?

7speedshop.com

hmm, have u tried getting some penetrant oil or WD-40 in behind the bolt heads? Also, if you have a punch, you could try tapping the heads to wiggle them a bit, but not so hard that you bend them. If you don't care about the rotor, firmly kicking its butt might dislodge the screws a bit. I've never had mine stick, so that's the best I can tell ya.

Oh, how long is the ratchet you've got the socket on, you might be able to put it on a longer one and tap the end to get increased leverage + some impact power.

Good luck man, I hate racing the sun as well!

Comment

Originally posted by R4g3fist View Post
      hmm, have u tried getting some penetrant oil or WD-40 in behind the bolt heads? Also, if you have a punch, you could try tapping the heads to wiggle them a bit, but not so hard that you bend them. If you don't care about the rotor, firmly kicking its butt might dislodge the screws a bit. I've never had mine stick, so that's the best I can tell ya.

Oh, how long is the ratchet you've got the socket on, you might be able to put it on a longer one and tap the end to get increased leverage + some impact power.

Good luck man, I hate racing the sun as well!
      isn't it bad to get wd-40 around the distributor area? we tried to tap the alan wrench while pulling but it seems like the head is just stripping instead. there ios barely anyroom down there, my radiator and hoses were all in the way so we couldn't get anything to big in there. we undid some hoses and losened the metal one to get it off, my radiator is the main problem its annoying to work around, are all radiators made in south africa? cuz mine is and i was just wondering.

7speedshop.com

Comment

this was supposed to take me 20 minutes but now i have to wait till tommorow

7speedshop.com

Comment

Well, I know a lot of manuals call for pulling the radiator to do the distributor and rotor, but for your problem, I'd say try the WD and leave it overnight. Clean it out with some clean rags or papertowels (just don't shred them and leave bits in there) and you should be ok.

Also, try what was listed in the other forum about this -- demolish that rotor and use vice grips on the bolt heads if you can reach in there.

A final option might be to use a heat gun or a hairdryer, not a torch, to heat the area and see if you can get something loose. It's surprising how often even a little heat can make a difference, but then again it might not work at all.

And yeah, I HATE running into little issues that make a small job last a day. Good luck, hope we can help.

Comment

you've all helped alot ill try everything possible, worst case senario i just put it back together and goto to a mechanic

7speedshop.com

Comment

oh... snap ur by a trio of lil 4mm screw ;)

Use a 90 air drill with a bolt extractor bit or a small enough electric drill if yo can find it.

Or go caveman style and use a small vise grip plier and proceed to gently and patiently loosen them out.
              sigpic
              - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Working...
              X