Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To those cutting stock single-mass flywheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To those cutting stock single-mass flywheels...

Word to the wise: get your flywheel balanced if you cut it! It seems most people just get their M20 flywheel cut down on a lathe, and then get it ground without ever putting it on a balancer. My flywheel needed a pretty hefty chunk of weight out of it to get it back to neutral, due to uneven densities in the core. Now, mine also had some very significant factory drilling, while this other one I have sitting here has just a few dimples, so if yours is nearly untouched in stock form it's probably okay cut down. Probably. But $40 now could save you a huge PITA or even a blown motor.

wtf, lets see some pictures of your swiss cheese. and the area(s) you removed material.

but yeah, youve GOT to balance anything thats been machined. Even after i turned my flywheel down myself, the shop found it could use a couple small drillings.

Comment

Are you cereal? A rotating piece needs to be balanced? OMGLOL

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
        wtf, lets see some pictures of your swiss cheese. and the area(s) you removed material.
        I just had them chop off the ring, not delve into the center. We've all seen this before. I didn't do more because:

1) they didn't really want to do it: liability if it takes off my legs, you know? They aren't an automotive shop, so they don't know how thin you can go. I shoulda brought the flexplate I have kicking around to show them how much material the starter needs.

2) it's closer to the center of mass (inertia = r^2 and all), so it doesn't matter as much in the middle.

3) I'm in a hurry and just needed it done so I can get my DD back on the road. That's really the main reason, the first two are rationalizations. :mrgreen:

It's 15#, maybe a little more. But, all the weight lost is way out on the edge, so I bet it'll be noticeable. I look forward to trying it out.

Comment

Working...
        X