Leaking from oil drain hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking from oil drain hole

So, I made a slight miscalculation when removing my motor a few days ago, and it kind of hit the ground hard - it fell fairly quickly and landed smack dab on the oil drain bolt. I don't see any cracks at all, and the pan looks fine.

HOWEVER, now the oil drain bolt is pretty hard to remove and even after I tighten it really tightly, it still leaks, about a drip every minute or so.

Can I helicoil the drain hole or something, I'm guessing the treads may be damaged? Some ideas would be nice, cause when I get my motor back in, at this rate I'll lose almost a quart a day!
    - Sean Hayes

Just drill it out and rethread it to 14x1.5 and use a Mercedes or Honduh drain plug.

-Erik

Comment

What's the stock thread depth/size? What's the best way to drill and tap this and prevent metal from stickin around inside the oil pan?
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

just put thread tape on it thats what i did.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
          What's the stock thread depth/size? What's the best way to drill and tap this and prevent metal from stickin around inside the oil pan?
          The stock size is 12mm. I think 12x1.5, but don't quote me on that. So, once you fuck up the stock threads, you still have enough material to drill and tap it to 14mm.

Just drill and tap it, then pour a little oil in the motor and let it to drain out to flush out the shavings.

-Erik

Comment

Great advice. Thanks! Know a good spot where I can get a tap that size? I've tried a few places locally, and the largest I can find is 12mm.
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
              Great advice. Thanks! Know a good spot where I can get a tap that size? I've tried a few places locally, and the largest I can find is 12mm.
              Not sure, as I just borrowed my bosses. Just keep checking your local tool stores and motor supply stores.

-Erik

Comment

Its M12x1.5 (same as a lug bolt, which works well in a pinch..)

Did you use a new crush washer? Maybe it got damaged/bent from the impact and isn't sealing properly. I've never met an m20 drain plug that was easy to turn all the way out. Try thread tape + crush washer. If that fails, tap it. Use thick grease and pump a glob up in the pan to catch the shavings, take it slow and you shouldn't have any shavings hanging around when you're done.

So you're pulling it to mock up the turbo huh?

Comment

OK, got the thread tapped, and my friends spare CRX drain plug in there now. I need to go get a new crush washer, as I just have some random steel one in there now. Not to mention, the outside edges are a bit big - so it's still slightly leaking. HOPEFULLY a new washer and grinding down the bolt some will make a nice seal.

What models of Mercedes have the 14x1.5 drain plug? The problem with the honda plug is that the threads are really short - so I'm thinkin of gettin the Mercedes one since there's an extra 10mm or so of threads.
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

Bad news...still leaking.

This fucking sucks. Anyone got some more suggestions here?? I'm at a damn loss. It's not as bad as it was - but enough to leave a little puddle on the ground in 4 hours - which is still unacceptable. Does this mean the fall may have put a crack somewhere in there? I can't see any, and it looks like the oil is coming right out of the drain hole!

GAAAH Someone give me an answer here!
                    Last edited by Sean; 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM.
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

i would swap the pan, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by gmiller5m View Post
                        i would swap the pan, IMO.
                        Oh ya...it's in the works. LOL JB Welded the crap outta the pan...STILL LEAKING. So, I'm gonna get to school with my slow leak just fine and replace the pan there. :D
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

just change the pan i learned the hard way last year. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X