Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating

I know this topic has been covered a multitude of times but i am still having problems with overheating. Here is a list of parts i replaced.

New timing belt
    New water pump
    New v-belts
    New fan clutch

I am currently not running a thermostat bc when i do the car overheats. When i am driving on the highway the temp. needle will be at about 1/4. It is only when i am in stop and go traffic that the temp. need will reach 1/2 and a little above. It should not be running at the 1/2 mark without a thermostat.

I have had the car on ramps and have bled the system. From listening to the car idling when its hot, it sounds like the fan just isn't spinning fast enough. Is there a sensor that may be bad? Any help is appreciated. thanks

Given the part that have been replaced and the nature of the overheating, my first suspicions would be; a) a clogged up radiator or cooling system, b) a small head gasket leak that's pumping air into the cooling system. If (b) is the case, successive bleeds will release a noticeable amount of air from the cooling system.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Couple suggestions for what it is worth:

1. Check your coolant mixture. Too light, too much water; drain a bit and add straight coolant.
      2. Are you constantly having to bleed the air? Check the PITA coolant hoses which come out of the fire-wall from the heater-core (i believe). Make sure the one going into the driver-side, back-end of the block next to the valve cover is not cracked. I had issues for months, could never find the problem, until it finally ripped open.

If you are not having any leaks or continually bleeding air out of your system, move forward with the sensors.

Good luck and post your findings.

Comment

Originally posted by Republic View Post
        Couple suggestions for what it is worth:

1. Check your coolant mixture. Too light, too much water; drain a bit and add straight coolant.
        2. Are you constantly having to bleed the air? Check the PITA coolant hoses which come out of the fire-wall from the heater-core (i believe). Make sure the one going into the driver-side, back-end of the block next to the valve cover is not cracked. I had issues for months, could never find the problem, until it finally ripped open.

If you are not having any leaks or continually bleeding air out of your system, move forward with the sensors.

Good luck and post your findings.
        +1
        check the engine/coolant temp sensor (two prong) and the water temp sensor (one prong) the one prong just gives the signal to the dash i believe while the other controls cold starting etc.

Comment

Working...
        X