• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging and stalling while driving

well here is background info
    - '86 325e
    -stock motor
    -recently did seafoam treatment fuel and crankcase only (not vaccum line yet)

Before I did the treatment I would get an extremely hard jerking and sputtering from the engine when I gave it more the 35% throttle. I have even gone as far as to sit parked and rev the motor. Intermittently at times it will stall or rpms will drop considerably when I give it more then 35% throttle. This occurs from idle to redline.

I have checked for vacuum leaks by using carb cleaner and nothing is amiss. Tomorrow I will change out the spark plugs and cap n' rotor. I'm feeling it could be a spark issue although at times the motor behaves perfect. I will go ahead and change out the fuel filter as well. I highly doubt it is a fuel feed issue though.

Could anyone point me to possible areas of concern. Thanks.

TPS. Did everything you did, and this finally fixed my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SpartanTiger81 View Post
      TPS. Did everything you did, and this finally fixed my problem.
      -worked for you, but I had the same problem, and mine was ignition-related. could go either way
      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

well things went worse today. I had a recent issue pop up in the past 4 days. My battery would be at or near dead when I would awake in the morning and leave work at night. I bit the bullet and got a fresh battery this morning. After having a fresh battery I head off on my way to work. I waited for the coolant temp to reach operating point. So i head off. I get an excessive amount of sputtering, misfiring, and jerking. Applying the slightest of throttle seems to lessen the effect. it drives better for the next 2-3 miles. Once I get on the freeway. I barely get up to the speed of traffic when it starts to stall and die on me. I'm thinking oh crap what must it be now. I pull over and the thing won't turn over. Fresh battery, plenty of electrical juice. I hear the fuel pump on my side rather easily. I squeeze the fuel line and feel pressure building. No dice. I had it towed to my apt in .

Comment

Check the afm... that sounds like a fuel issue tho. Check and clean the connections on the plug on the side of the afm see if that works.
          Originally posted by ebelements
          Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

would using di-electric grease be sufficient in additional connectivity??

Comment

have you checked/replaced your fuel filter?

Comment

Working...
              X