Urgent: something went wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent: something went wrong...

Hey guys today i was driving on the highway doing about 80 when i got off i realized that it was i could barely turn the wheel when i had the brake on and could turn it a little with out it. so i pulled over and noticed that all of the brake lights on the dash were on. Brake fluid, Brake lining (which turned off after a while) anti lock brakes and my battery light. i was freaking out. i thought at first it might be the power steering but i checked the fluid and everything seemed fine, still might be the ps pump? So my dad came and we were trying to look around but it was dark and couldnt see much. I decided to drive it home. I was only 4 miles away. On the way home my temperature gauge was going crazy. at one point it was all in the red, then it would cool down. and just jump around. Then i started thinking it was the water pump. Good thing i just ordered a water pump and timing belt kit. Is the problem the water pump? Please any input is appreciated as it is dark out now and wont be able to look at anything until the morning. But I would like to get a jump start by knowing what to look for in the morning. Please help me out guys.
    Thanks.

accessory drive belt? any thoughts?

Comment

ha nevermind that has to be it. sorry about the pointless thread.

Comment

Hope you didnt overheat it.
        sigpic

Comment

yea.. it was in the red for like 5 seconds. i should be fine right?

Comment

sounds like the alt/wp belt. The lights were on due to low battery voltage most likely
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

alternator/acc belt
              sigpic

Comment

Alright I went and looked with a flashlight. One of the belts snapped and took the two others off with it. That means i drove without any water pump... I'm going to change my oil tomorow and see if anything is wrong. Hopefully nothing happened to my head..

Comment

m20's are strong engines, dunt warry you'll be fine but next time dunt make it reach the red line.when it crosses half you should stop immediately.

Comment

^Thanks for that you made me feel a little better. Im still going to change the oil tomorow just to make sure.

Comment

You should stop if your car gets up to the midway mark and wont go down, from that point it'll only get hotter. Obviously something was messed up. Maybe you could of got it towed?

Comment

Yea well i know that know. i just drained my oil and it wasnt milky at all.. it was very dark, but not milky. I also dont seem to have any oil in the coolant. But the coolant was very low. So Im going to put some oil and coolant in then change the belts. Is there anything else i should check?

Comment

when my belt went it bent the WP pulley and like a month later the water pump went, theres always a reason things break so inspect everything.

Comment

do you guys have any tips on loosening the alternator and powersteering. Ive been working on it for some time and cant get it loose enough to move it. Im going to be changing my water pump and timing belt next weekend.

Comment

To get either of those to move it is necessary to loosen both the adjuster (on top) and the pivot bolts (underneath).
                              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                              X