how long does adaption take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long does adaption take?

so ive had a bad o2 sensor for what seems like forever. Car slowly started running worse and worse till i decided to just pony up and purchase a new o2.

well, i installed the new o2 sensor and disconnected the battery. restarted and car was still runnin rough (sounds like its runnin on 5 cyls). So i figured it needs to adapt. well, its been a couple days now and its still runnin rough. I changed the cap and rotor along with the plugs. Still runnin rough:(

how long does it take for the car to adapt after a disconnecting the battery and should it sound like my car has a huge cam at idle? performance is definately suffering.

oh yea, car is an 89 325i

I dont think there is an actual adaption time. There may be something wrong inside the ECU. If it were me, I'd unplug the battery and the ECU and then when you plug the O2 sensor back in, reconnect everything. I did this anyway when I installed my new sensor. I figured it couldnt hurt and I havent had a bad idle since.

Taylor
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

yea, its not just a bad idle. its running rough in general almost like the timing is off, or its runnin on 5 cylinders. I have been racing it like this at trackdays. I have an m50 ill be swapping but didnt wanna have to do the swap quite yet, so id lik to get this figured out first.

Comment

You're probably due for a lot of basic maintenance.

Could be the fuel filter, fuel pump, clogged injector, vacuum leak, etc...

I'm having the same trouble with mine after doing an auto-manual swap, but I'm pretty sure it's the cat + o2.

Good luck.

Comment

uhmmm,i dont think its basic maintanance,lol i just pulled the plug wire off while it was runnin and nothing changed with idle. so i checked the brand new plugs i put in there and 6 was covered in fresh oil. i dont think this is something easily fixed.lol Im gunna do a compression check but im guessing a big whopping zero in #6.

Comment

Not necessaryily. It could just be the valve stem seal.
            1987 E30 325is
            1999 E46 323i
            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

When I first saw this thread, I thought it said adoption. I was thinking this was a strange place for such a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                When I first saw this thread, I thought it said adoption. I was thinking this was a strange place for such a question.
                x2
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

well, i finaly got around to check the compression and compression is fine in cyl #6. i even replaced the cap rotor wires and no help. I know im getting spark so the only thing left is to swap the injector out. The plug is saturated with fuel it seams and not realy firing or firing poorly if anything which is what led me to believe cyl6 was dead. Hopefully its just a stuck open injector.

Comment

well, just got back from swapping inj #6 and did the trick. I can get her sideways again.:) kinda makes me wonder the condition of the other injectors.:(

Comment

if that fixed it then you should have swapped all of them out because realistically, if one is bad, chances are its going to happen to all of them at some point
                      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Working...
                      X