Remove flywheel bolts = leaking oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove flywheel bolts = leaking oil?

I pulled the trans out of my 87 325e to replace the exploded clutch (see http://www.porcubimmer.com/blog for the carnage).

I was going to pull off the flywheel (I want to replace the dual mass with a single mass and convert to earlier eta clutch), but discovered my impact wrench was not powerful enough to get all of the bolts out.

I was only able to get one bolt out, but as soon as I did, oil (at least I think it's oil) started gushing out of the hole. WTF? I'm not super familiar with these cars, and I don't think there is supposed to be any oil running through the crank!

Any ideas? I stuck the bolt right back in as soon as it started leaking.
    The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

your car is on front jackstands only, isn't it?

level your car and drain the pan.

it's normal and supposed be like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post

Yup, only lifted up front. Thanks for relieving my concern! Like I said, I'm new to these cars and have never seen this before on any other cars I have changed the clutch on. Where exactly is the oil coming from though?

Comment

Originally posted by LTDScott View Post
        Yup, only lifted up front. Thanks for relieving my concern! Like I said, I'm new to these cars and have never seen this before on any other cars I have changed the clutch on. Where exactly is the oil coming from though?
        The stock flywheel bolts pass through the crankshaft flange and are exposed to crankcase oil. This is why you should replace the flywheel bolts. The new bolts have a special locking and sealing compound on the threads.

If you where to clean the old threads with a wire wheel and then install them using a similar lock tite/sealing compound you should be ok for a one time re-use.

If you just put them in without any sealer, oil will work its way through the threads and can possibly contaminate the clutch. It would take along time of operation, but it can happen, thats why its recommended to purchase new bolts.

Comment

Great advice about the bolts. Thanks. Does anyone know what the torque spec is offhand? I have a Bentley manual (which frankly I'm not impressed with) and the specs are probably there, but if anyone knows feel free to chime in.

Comment

section 4.58 in the bentley (and yes I am not impressed with it either) under ENGINE

77 +/- 5 lb.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post

Really? Is that unique to the eta cars?

I would think that the oil coming out was just the rear main seal. If I remember right, the pan isn't open in the rear and the flywheel has nothing to do with it... at least on my car.

If you are getting oil coming out from behind the flywheel, then I would say you most likely have a shot rear main seal (easy to replace if the transmission is out) or possibly your pan gasket has failed.
              1987 E30 325is
              1999 E46 323i
              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
                If you are getting oil coming out from behind the flywheel, then I would say you most likely have a shot rear main seal (easy to replace if the transmission is out) or possibly your pan gasket has failed.
                The oil is not coming out from BEHIND the flywheel. It's coming out of the hole in the crank that the flywheel bolt threads into. A rear main seal leak could not leak from there, since it seals AROUND the crank, not through it.

The only reasonable explanation is that the bolts protrude into the crank where there is an oil galley.

FWIW the flywheel bolts are $1.53 each so I'll definitely be replacing them.

Comment

Just out of curiosity for those 2 of you not impressed by the Bentley, what manual would you recommend?

The Bentley is the best manual out there that you can readily purchase. If you know of a better one, please do tell us which one.

Comment

Originally posted by peerless View Post
                    Just out of curiosity for those 2 of you not impressed by the Bentley, what manual would you recommend?

The Bentley is the best manual out there that you can readily purchase. If you know of a better one, please do tell us which one.
                    That's my point. The Bentley has a reputation for being the best out there, but it doesn't seem to be as detailed as I would like.

Then again I'm spoiled by having a friend who works for Alldata and normally gets me the instructions I need.

Comment

my favorite bentley phrase, other cars might have ________ different. Or "newer" cars might have an additional wire....i mean well thanks, but what is that suppose to tell me, when you are trying to figure out where a plug goes, and the reference is "might have additional wiring/plug.....

Hope you solve your problem...I have one hell of one too!

Comment

While the Bentley is priceless in testing / diagnosis of mechanical items, it is a bit lacking when it comes to electrical wiring. In this area the ETM is your friend....

Comment

Originally posted by Burnall4 View Post
                          my favorite bentley phrase, other cars might have ________ different. Or "newer" cars might have an additional wire....i mean well thanks, but what is that suppose to tell me, when you are trying to figure out where a plug goes, and the reference is "might have additional wiring/plug.....

Hope you solve your problem...I have one hell of one too!
                          That's exactly what I mean, but of course I realize there's only so much they can put in one book.

Comment

OK, I was totally wrong. Yep, the flywheel bolts go through the hub on the drive shaft. The tapped holes on the hub go all the way through to the inside of the case. So yeah, Aptype was correct.

As for the manual, I think you find that the Bentley is taken directly from the BMW maintenance manuals. So much so that mistakes made in the factory manual make their way into the Bentley (ask me how I know). Bentley adds a few things and a few extra safety warnings, etc, but it is basically the same as the factory manual EXCEPT that they don't print every section and manual that is available in the factory manual set.
                            1987 E30 325is
                            1999 E46 323i
                            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Not to go off topic (well it's too late), but the best example I can give about the Bentley manual being incomplete was in removing the transmission from this car. The manual neglected to mention one important step: Removing the starter!! I read the instructions several times and was having trouble pulling the tranny apart from the block, when I looked up and saw the starter still attached. That's kind of a big thing to overlook.

Comment

Working...
                              X