Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan retaining nut

Hello,

These are my first dealings with any BMW repairs (bought an 88 325 auto with 130K miles from a friend in New Jersey a few weeks ago)--I'm from the water-cooled VW world (fixed VR6 timing chains, blown heater-cores, dead O1M autos, etc. for 20 years now). I'm enjoying the BMW experience so far.

I've ordered the Bentley (have several for VWs) but I've gotten started on the timing belt R&R while waiting. Two areas I'm stuck on--the nut that holds the fan to the coolant pump, I know it needs to be turned in the clockwise direction (facing the engine from the front) to loosen--but even with the alt belt tightened, and keeping the alt from turning, the bolt won't loosen (it squeaks the belt)--tricks?

What size wrench do I need for the auto trans to rad/cooler lines? The largest open end I have now is 19mm (well, other than the 32mm I just picked up for the fan nut...).

Thanks,
    Geoff

For the clutch fan nut, you have to hit that thing with a BFH and it should come loose. If that dosn't work spray it down with PB blaster and use some heat, then give it another go.

good luck!

Comment

i drilled a piece of streel i had laying around to bolt to the water pump pulley. i used that to counterlever the wrench...i also had the engine out of the car.

otherwise, this is what the normal procedure looks like:
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Wow, that was a quick response, Thanks!

I'm not quite to the point I need a BFH just yet--I can't seem to keep the coolant pump pulley from turning when I push on the 32mm wrench--that is, the nut turns all too easily, and turns the pulley/belts with it. Is there a way to hold the pulley (other than by tightening the drive belts)?

Am I missing something?

Geoff

Comment

Well it has been done....

I tightened the alt belt as far as I could, and banged my meaty paw against the wrench and she let go...

Thanks!

Geoff

Comment

They make a special tool setup to remove the fan clutch. If your going to work on these E30s or BMW's in general, it is worth the money to get. I used to use a hammer and wrench. wait till you get one someone has actually tightened, or better yet the little 318is that came in where someone had lock-tited the damn fan clutch on. No hammer and wrench in the world is worth that aggravation.

They make 2 counter holding tools, one for the 318is and one for all other E30's. Plus the thin walled wrench. These can be fabricated if you have the time. I have used them also on E36, E39, E46.

Comment

Hell, once you get the fan off, don't put it back on. Get an electric fan or use the A/C electric fan for the job. Just do a bit of wiring. I have a 16" electric fan on mine where the A/C fan used to be. Works great. Of course I don't spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic with my car. (The mechanical fan doesn't really help much when you are idling anyway. That's why they have the A/C fan. At speed, you don't really need a fan anyway.)
              1987 E30 325is
              1999 E46 323i
              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
                Hell, once you get the fan off, don't put it back on. Get an electric fan or use the A/C electric fan for the job. Just do a bit of wiring. I have a 16" electric fan on mine where the A/C fan used to be. Works great. Of course I don't spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic with my car. (The mechanical fan doesn't really help much when you are idling anyway. That's why they have the A/C fan. At speed, you don't really need a fan anyway.)
                Funny you should mention this...I was pondering this very idea.

Comment

Don't forget the nut is reverse threaded...and it just took some PB blaster and a crescent wrench to get it off.

Comment

Not to HiJack. Thanks Peerless for showing pics of the tools now I can fab that pulley holder.

Comment

I know you already got the nut off, but when I did mine the last time the hammer trick didn't work, so I had to wedge a piece of wood between the waterpump pulley and the crank pulley to hold it in place.
                      -Will

1987 325is, 1989 325i, 1997 318i
                      Parts for Sale

Comment

Working...
                      X