Won't start :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start :(

So after having everything apart to do the timing belt, and also having the intake mani off the car, it wont start. At first it wasn't cranking, but i figured that out. Now it's turning but wont start.

I thought the two fuel lines going to the FPR and the fuel rail might of been mixed up so i switched those, that did nothing. would switching them cause any harm?

I don't think I connected any sensors wrong. I left the crank position sensor pluged in, so the only other sesnor in the area for the spark plug wires. Also, I don't think it could be the ICV or TPS mixed up, since the wires wont seem to reach to one another. So all the sensors should be pluged up right.

I'm pretty sure I started to smell fuel and that was before I messed with the fuel lines.

I know there are many threads on M20's not starting after doing work, but I wanted to state exacly what is happening and what I've done already.

I'm so pissed, I need the car to drive to school tomorrow :???:
    any ideas?
    thank you
    Jon
    Last edited by Schniddy; 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM.

The first think I'd suggest that you do is to recheck the cam timing.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Im dead certain that all the timing marks were good before I put the covers back on. I turned the crank 4/5 times and it was all good at the time. Should it still be checked? If thats good what else? How commom would it be for a CPS to get fucked up while put to the side in the engine bay?

and if its not the CPS.. :/

Comment

Check my post a couple of threads down...I didn't think it was the sensor either, but just read through mine, might give you some ideas. I would list them all, but if you read my thread that is easier...I had a similar problem

Unless that CPS wire is run correctly 9/10 times its not, it can get a interference signal!

Comment

How do I go about checking for a spark?

"If you pull a spark plug wire and put a plug in it, ground the plug to the engine then you should see a spark when cranking."

that is what I was told to try out, but I'm confused on what exacly he said.

So I take out a plug wire, take the spark plug out, and then connect the spark plug into the wire? After that I need to ground the plug to the engine, how?

Comment

just put it against the side of the engine....I will get flamed for saying that but thats the easiest way, just make sure you are grounded with rubber gloves and have someone around...haha...learned that the hard way!

Comment

So you take the spark plug out, plug it back into the wire and put the side that is usually in the engine, on the side of the block to ground it. I then need someone to try and "start" the car, and I should see a spark?

Comment

you got it, yeah you will see it spark against the engine...just think elementary school science project, just don't hold it on there to long. Seriously take a look at your sensors, if you have an Ohm meter and the Bentley manual they give you a lot of what the sensors should read when you test them and how to test them. That is how i figured out what my problem was, even though they were giving "good" reasonable read outs but further testing found they were bad....

Comment

I really think its either electrical or mechanical timing...I have pulled my motor apart twice and have tested it, done compresion, FP measurements etc...

Got any more info, like where you marked the timing for both crank and cam? what was the condition of the wires for the sensors, is the battery reading proper voltage, do you hear the fuel pump kick on , how about the cold start spray, is that working?

Just stuff i checked when I was diaging my car...sorry if I am confusing just trying to help ya out!

Comment

i had the same problem when i did my rockers and timing belt, it turned out that the ignition timing was off..i would suggest double checking if the ignition timing is set correctly

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                    Originally posted by scabzzzz
                    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                    2002 325i - DD
                    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by gtdragon980 View Post
                      i had the same problem when i did my rockers and timing belt, it turned out that the ignition timing was off..i would suggest double checking if the ignition timing is set correctly

+1

Comment

We have spark.

Ignition timing? Is that separate from having the timing for the timing belt marks? I remember reading something earlier about having the rotor lined up. Is this the case?

Comment

yeah that the firing is in the correct sequence, but the rotor can only go on one way for the dizzy...just follow the wires from the cylinder to the dizzy and make sure they are on the right nipple...mine was labeled in the Bentley and on the dizzy

Comment

I didn't disconnect any of the wires from the distributor. I just removed both together to make it easier. So all the wires are in the correct order.

The list of possibilities is getting smaller.

One thing I did not mention was while putting the intake mani back on, the bottom of my ratchet hit a terminal on the starter which caused a spark. this actually happend twice. Since the car is cranking, I dont think this could possibly be a problem. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnall4 View Post
                              I really think its either electrical or mechanical timing...I have pulled my motor apart twice and have tested it, done compresion, FP measurements etc...

Got any more info, like where you marked the timing for both crank and cam? what was the condition of the wires for the sensors, is the battery reading proper voltage, do you hear the fuel pump kick on , how about the cold start spray, is that working?

Just stuff i checked when I was diaging my car...sorry if I am confusing just trying to help ya out!
                              I missed this post of yours!

the marks for the cam and crank were both right on the money before I put everything back together. However, what if one was off by a 'hair' (not even close to a full tooth off)? Would that still make a difference?

As far as the fuel pump being on, when should it be kicking on? if I have the key turned to having all the accessories should I be able to hear it with the bottom rear seat removed?

I have a shitty harbor fright OHM meter. The red one that switches between the different setting on the knob. I dont think its made to give car battery readings. I've tried to test things before with that shitty thing and I'm not sure if it works/ if I'm doing it right. maybe now would be a good time to invest in a good craftman meter.

Comment

Working...
                              X