No start has fuel and spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start has fuel and spark

I acquired an 88 325E from a friend, it was not running. I have traced a few issues (he replaced parts with unknown used trying to get it running) I have gotten it to get spark at all 6 plugs, and using a noid light get injector pulse (I did replace all injectors due to unknown origin of others) fuel reaches the rail. I have not checked pressure, but when I pull the line from the regulator it is dry, and a test injector does spray. Check engine light never comes on, even when first turning on the key. I have gotten it to fire using starting fluid. ECU maybe?

Tee-in a pressure gage at the inlet to the fuel rail and see what the pressure is. It should right at 43psi if the pump and FPR are operating properly.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

^ Where would you purchase a gauge that can be put-in line?

Comment

I use a 0-100psi air service gage (like you can find at Lowes, etc., in the air compressor section), a 1/8" NTP brass tee and 1/8"NPT hose barbs from the plumbing section at Lowes (or maybe Home Depot, I disremember which).That, a short piece of fuel injection hose, and some band clamps will get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          I use a 0-100psi air service gage (like you can find at Lowes, etc., in the air compressor section), a 1/8" NTP brass tee and 1/8"NPT hose barbs from the plumbing section at Lowes (or maybe Home Depot, I disremember which).That, a short piece of fuel injection hose, and some band clamps will get the job done.
          thanks jlevie

I started to test out the motronic unit and NOTHING is comming out to the correct value or doing what its supposed to do after grounding/ connecting terminals.

Is it possible to have a bad unit, but still have the car crank?

Comment

This could be your problem. The ecu doesn't start the motor it just starts the injector pulse and firing sequence. The car with still crank simply because the key is giving power to the starter when turned to the starting position. I would say go to a junk yard and find the same number ecu you have and go from there. Its a fairly cheap and easy thing to test.

Good luck

Taylor
            Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
            Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
              This could be your problem. The ecu doesn't start the motor it just starts the injector pulse and firing sequence. The car with still crank simply because the key is giving power to the starter when turned to the starting position. I would say go to a junk yard and find the same number ecu you have and go from there. Its a fairly cheap and easy thing to test.

Good luck

Taylor

My injector harness is firing properly though, could it still be the problem?

I tested out the power to the fuel pump while cranking the car. I did not get any voltage! Indication of ECU? I'm still getting a spark, and the fuel pump is pumping.. but when I tested out the pump voltage...0
              Last edited by Schniddy; 09-08-2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

^I had the cps sensor unpluged (wasnt like this the holee time)..

battery is reading 11.8v
                fuel pump is reading 9.9-10v while cranking

-------------------------------------------------------

1/8"NPT hose barbs is too small of a diameter. 1/8 is tiny! I'm going back tomorrow to pick up something a bit larger, then I'll have fuel pressure readings.

ECU is coming in from cali. Yes, I know I'm throwing more parts at it, but I have a feeling this is it (stop tests doesn't work).

Comment

my problem was previous owner stuck an early model in tank low pressure pump in

Comment

1/8"NPT hose barbs is too small of a diameter.
                    I/8"NPT is the thread size, nit the diameter of the barbs. I think the barbs I used were for 1/4" hose.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      I/8"NPT is the thread size, nit the diameter of the barbs. I think the barbs I used were for 1/4" hose.

Yup, I went back to exchange the size.
                      The fuel pressure gauge did nothing, it didn't give a reading...

You said to purchase an air gauge, correct?

I went with a 1/4th Tfitting instead of the 1/8th due to the guages that were avalible there, would this cause the a reading not to come up?

sorry for the big pic:
                      Last edited by Schniddy; 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X