Rod pin bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod pin bearings

I am rebuilding my engine and replacing all the bearings. I have the piston pin bearings on order and they will be here tonight. (#2 in this diagram)

The question is what is the best way to get the old pin bearings out? Are they a press fit that requires a press and the correct sized mandrel? If so, it will have to go to the shop.

Can they be removed in a different way?

The first piston I pulled apart had a lot of scoring on the bearing. It was quite rough. I don't think it should be that way.

I wish I had the time to send all the pistons down to Peerless and let him take care of all of it, but I don't have time. I really want the engine up and running by this weekend.
    1987 E30 325is
    1999 E46 323i
    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
    oo=[][]=oo

Press would be easiest if you have a rod clamp that helps too, a little patience w/ a hammer works though I went for a press after the first one for fear of messing something up. correct sized mandrel for me was a trusty socket.

Comment

Send me your rods and wrist pin bushings. For $200 you will get back the following. Magged, lightened with side beams polished, shot-peened, big end resized to spec, wrist pin bushings pressed and resized to your wrist pins, static balanced. Shipped to your door. All you need is new rod bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by peerless View Post
        Send me your rods and wrist pin bushings. For $200 you will get back the following. Magged, lightened with side beams polished, shot-peened, big end resized to spec, wrist pin bushings pressed and resized to your wrist pins, static balanced. Shipped to your door. All you need is new rod bolts.
        lol, dude, read the first post.

"I wish I had the time to send all the pistons down to Peerless and let him take care of all of it, but I don't have time. I really want the engine up and running by this weekend."

BTW, how do you resize the big end?
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
          lol, dude, read the first post.

"I wish I had the time to send all the pistons down to Peerless and let him take care of all of it, but I don't have time. I really want the engine up and running by this weekend."
          BTW, how do you resize the big end?
          Funny, didn't even see that. I went right into sales mode, lol.

To resize the big end you precision grind the cap and rod facing, this makes the bore smaller, then you hone it to factory specification.

Comment

Oh, I see. That's pretty cool.
            If I had known about your service a few weeks ago, I probably would have had it done. The problem was that I didn't know if I was going to need to bore the block and then get over-sized pistons or not. The machinist thinks that the honing was enough so I am sticking with the old pistons. But since he took his sweet time getting my stuff done, I am up against a time limit now.
            1987 E30 325is
            1999 E46 323i
            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Working...
            X