Driveability issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveability issues!

Car: 1989 325i automatic, about 185k, ran very well until reciently.

Alrighty, the problems started a week or so ago. For a few days, I noticed that the car would hesitate at 4-4.5k on WOT acceleration. So I pull the air boot off to look for carbony build-up in the TB and notice a tear in the seam of the boot. So I order a new one, and silicone-up the old one as a quick fix.

Maybe three days ago, I'm driving back home from picking up some strut assemblies (thanks Art!) and notice it's getting worse, like I can't give the car over 1/2 throttle without it choking. SO I get home, and notice that the EVAP pressure vent tube under the TB is cracked... so I replace it with a plain-jane vacume hose. Problem still there...

So I replaced the boot today (and air filter and fuel filter and cleaned/regaped the plugs) and noticed I ordered one without the little side tube going to the power brake line (late i's have this). So I capped off the lines, they are not leaking (I checked). THE CAR IS DAMN NEAR UNDRIVEABLE NOW! Just TODAY first gear slips like a mofo... and the car idles low in gear, and has no power.

Are the vacuum leak(s) (or faux vacuum leak) and the tranny issues related? I have every hole in the intake plugged (a little ghetto), I doused the intake with starting fluid and noticed no change in idle! Why would my tranny start slipping all at once? Is the little branch off the air boot that important? WHAT have I screwed up?!?

Sorry for the long and rantful post, ask for clairification if needed.
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Well for one, the loss of power is most likely due to a faulty AFM. And as for the tranny slipping, I have no idea. Maybe two things went bad together. As far as I know, there is no link between the boot you replaced and the tranny, or the problem you're having and the tranny.

Hope that helped

Taylor
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

always been under impression that torque converter uses engine torque to pressurize tranny fluid to change gears. Now it maybe slipping because you don't get steady torque from a flywheel??? Not sure if that makes sense.

Put your old boot on and see if the problem goes away. If it does, great. get a new boot and forget this ever happened.

Comment

Yea, maybe the two are unrelated. Ill check the AFM... sometime...

Art, maybe... but maybe not... I'd try the old boot but it's kinda torn!

Comment

found the problem... broken spring in the valve body!

Comment

I seem to be having a lot of the same issues you are.

By a broken spring in the Valve body do you mean a broken Valve spring? Excuse my newbness when it comes to E30's I've been working on VW's for too long.

Thanks!

Comment

eh, no, its the valve that holds the fluid pressure inside the trans... I took it apart and the spring had broken into three! It wasn't allowing pressure to build, and thus the clutchs could not fully engage. Fortunatly, the fluid and filter were very clean and showed no sign of excessive clutch wear. I'm going to yank a gently-used valve body off another 4hp22, replace the filter and fluid, and see where it gets me.

Comment

Working...
              X