No start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start

So I am in the process of building a DD 88 325is, when I got the car it had no dash, no diff, blown up motor(hole from protruding rod), autotragic.

Have been gathering parts and installing them.
    Dash, 5 speed swap, diff, driveline,ect.

Its coming along all except for the no start issue. Now I am pretty good with electricals except for the fact I cant fucking read wiring diagrams for shit (more of a hands on type)

The main relay is not clicking when I turn on the key, neither is fuel pump relay.

I dealt with the issue of the code function on the obc turning off the fuel pump.

No spark or fuel still.

As the car sits right now it has no instrument cluster. So we thought it may need an ic to run so I removed the ic from Lukes car(87 325is) and it ran just fine w/o an ic so I know that isn't the problem.

May be some electrical gremlins involved. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Will give more info as needed.

Thanks in advance guys.

Andy
    -Andy

What a coincidence. I just got my car back together today after full motor rebuild and got it all ready to start, but had no spark and no fuel, and the fuel pump wasn't running. I broke out the DVM and wiring diagrams, and 2 hours later, I traced the problem to the fusible link on the positive feed. I don't know what kind of '30 you've got, but on my 325i, there's a little 6mm stud just above the positive post junction on the firewall. The ~10ga black wire running into the fender from there connects via fusible link to the positive battery terminal in the trunk. Or at least it's supposed to. That wire feeds all injection-related components like the DME, fuel pump, the main relay, and the O2 sensor relay. If there's a problem with the fusible link, the motor will turn over just fine and everything interior works, but the engine management has no power. I don't know how much of a bitch it is to replace the link, but for now, I checked the power feed wires for short-to-ground, and finding none, connected them directly to a screw on the positive junction post. Problem fixed. Sounds like you've got the same issue. Post up and lemme know when it's running...
    sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

It will start and run without the instrument cluster. Check your wires near the starter, there are 1 or 2 small spade connectors on the starter, has something to do with two "unloader" relays. Had that issue on my 2.7i swap. Hope I've helped.

Comment

Thanks guys will try in the morning

Andy
        -Andy

Comment

Fusible link is good. Got someone gonna help me later who is a tech at a local euro shop.

I will keep you updated

Andy
          -Andy

Comment

Working...
          X