question about this 731 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about this 731 head

I'm pretty determined to rebuild my eta engine with a 731 head. Ran across this one for $100 complete, but the guy says it needs machining. He sent me these pics of some scratches it has, some which run across the bottom into the combustion chamber:

I have no experience getting a cyl head machined, so i'm wondering how bad those scratches are and how realistic it is to have them repaired. I have leads on the same cylinder, complete, for $400...
    My Feedback

they are some pretty deep divots, they might have to weld them then resurface the head. You wouldnt be able to take them out with machining (before you take too much off the head) and where they are will definately lead to gasket failure.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

I never understood why people who removed their head didn't take better care of the underside. Often I see heads for sale sitting on the garage floor. This seems like one of those times.
      89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
      E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

731 heads are easy enough to find. Look for a better candidate.
        sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

Originally posted by knockenwelle View Post
          731 heads are easy enough to find. Look for a better candidate.
          x2

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
          X